Notifications
Clear all

How long can one practice?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cgibbons89)
Topic starter  

I've been playing for a year and a half almost im 20 now, i started with my dads ol gibson b 25 and now i have a *much* cheaper one to mess with tho ive jsut gottin back into it since i put it down last winter for the electric.

I was wondering how long one should spend playin?

I know some people put in countless hours cuz its their job but i was worryin about my mucles not being able to build up or calluous' not being as durable when i first started and didnt know a thing i could play for like eight hours and then take a week bread for my skin to come back together but now its the summer and i have some time on my hands.

any suggestions?

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I try to practice about an hour or two each day I do practice, and practice 4-5 times a week.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

I can only manage to get in 20-30 minutes most days... I know it is not enough, and my skills would develop much faster if I did more... but for now, I am progressing at a satisfactory rate.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

For me, anywhere from 20-30 mins. to 2-3 hours a couple of times a week. I told my teacher that after a year and a half I should be further along. He said everyone feels they should be further along. I'm fine just where I am, considering I'm not a school kid who, once he does his homework, he's got almost all the time in the world to practice and jam. I wish I was retired so I could give serious time to guitar practice and playing. Youth is indeed wasted on the young. :?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

Youth is indeed wasted on the young.Yes, but console yourself with this thought:

Old age (with accompanying retirement) is often wasted on the old, some of whom let themselves wind down and stop learning new things just because they're old. If you're like me, looking forward to retirement in 30 or 40 or 50 years (considering the economy), you can look to the old who are not wasting their new-found free time as inspiration for a plan to live your own old age.

I'm guessing my wife is going to be hoping for hearing loss in old age, so she can just turn down the hearing aid when she gets tired of me banging away at my guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Youth is indeed wasted on the young.Yes, but console yourself with this thought:

Old age (with accompanying retirement) is often wasted on the old, some of whom let themselves wind down and stop learning new things just because they're old. If you're like me, looking forward to retirement in 30 or 40 or 50 years (considering the economy), you can look to the old who are not wasting their new-found free time as inspiration for a plan to live your own old age.

Very true! I intend to go out fighting, like a Klingon Warrior. No diaper or nurse wiping my chin. Put my axes in the box I'm going into the bbq pit in, with one ax firmly grasped in my hand.
I'm guessing my wife is going to be hoping for hearing loss in old age, so she can just turn down the hearing aid when she gets tired of me banging away at my guitar.

That's cold, oh so cold! :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

I'm very slack with practice, and it shows. Sometimes it might be a 5 minute run through a finger exercise, sometimes it's two hours of songs, sometimes classical, sometimes steel string. I, too, would improve dramatically if I put more structure into my learning.

As for retirement... I'm determined to found "Granny Grunge" as a musical genre when I get to that age. :twisted:

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@cgibbons89)
Topic starter  

I can see it now a buncha women goin out to play shuffle board in rusted cars with cut off shorts lol i usually practice two hours the first hour im just strumming on chords by the time an hour is up I go into songs theres plenty of stuff ive never perfect but i can always go back to it thats the kind of stuff you could spend 15 minutes on then if im learning something new and maybe im slow itll be like 30 for a riff an hour if its metal or just involves some finger picking in which time goes by pretty fast still tho im not one to play until my fingers bleed if Im going to be playing keyboard or something right afterwards lol

ReplyQuote