Clear all

How many of you can play the songs that you "know"

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Can the majority of non-professional for fun guitar players play the songs they "know" so well that an onlooker wouldn't know the difference between their playing and the CD version?

I've been playing for about 2 months now and I'm starting to get the hang of it. The songs I play are recognizable, but I won't be coming out with a CD anytime soon........ Unless William Hung (the american idol reject) lets me play lead guitar on one of his albums ;)

(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I can play a few songs straight through except for the solo parts. I also been playing two and half months. I don't think anyone can play exactly the same as the original, also the originals have some pretty good musicians backing them up, we just have our guitar. The thing that keeps me on track is I am able to sing and play without much trouble which is a good anchor too keep the song flowing

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I can play allot of the songs I know pretty good I think. Yes it does always sound better when you've got some drums and a bassline in there. You'll get the hang of it and you'll be looking for new songs to learn very quickly if you keep practicing. I recommend looking for some drum loops on the net, or buy yourself a software drum machine. They help allot

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Use GP for it, just mute the guitarpart and play along with the drums, bass and what else is in there.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

GP, what's that?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Guitar Pro, a program that will playback tabs with drums and bass etc. http://www.guitar-pro.com for the free shareware version. http://www.mysongbook.com for thousands of songs.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Can the majority of non-professional for fun guitar players play the songs they "know" so well that an onlooker wouldn't know the difference between their playing and the CD version?

For me, music is a personal expression. It's usually too easy to copy what someone else has done note for note (exceptions being an uber-shred tune). When I (and/or the band) play a song, it's usually immediately recognizable, but rarely like you'd hear on the CD. I tend to make the song my own and try to portray some of the things I see in it that moves me.

Doing a note by note regurgitation lost it's appeal for me long ago.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

For me, music is a personal expression. It's usually too easy to copy what someone else has done note for note (exceptions being an uber-shred tune). When I (and/or the band) play a song, it's usually immediately recognizable, but rarely like you'd hear on the CD. I tend to make the song my own and try to portray some of the things I see in it that moves me.

I agree with this. I rarely if ever play a song the same way twice, let alone the way its done originally once I've learned it. I'll play with rhythms, add extended jams, cut verses, repeat verses or choruses, add my own lyrics, etc. Whatever I'm feeling when I play it.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

I can play Slayer: Seasons in the abyss straight through and all guitar parts except the tapping/plucking solos but I tend to not learn songs from beginning to end...I usually just take the intro or solo or something...practice it until I can play it well and then modify it into my own stuff and throw in my own style.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I agree with this. I rarely if ever play a song the same way twice, let alone the way its done originally once I've learned it. I'll play with rhythms, add extended jams, cut verses, repeat verses or choruses, add my own lyrics, etc. Whatever I'm feeling when I play it.

Same here -- never the same way twice. No fun and little art in that.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote