How many teachers?

67 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Jason,

I think it holds more water than you think. There is a lot of physical dexterity and coordination which equates to rhythm and timing and your ability to play well and not all people have it, that's just the facts of life, all people are not created equal and DO NOT have the same potential.

All the perserverance in the world will get you to only one place..the best YOU can be..which in the whole scheme of things may be good or not so good and that's in everything you do not just playing guitar.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

yeah, that's true in a sense, especially for vocals. those can fade quickly after a certain age.
but it's not like most musicians were first round nba draft picks or anything who chose to play the sax instead. those guys are top 1% of the top 1% physically. some musicians i know can't catch a frisbee, and i've heard some beautiful music come from 60 and 70 year old fingertips.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Another update:

I've called a few places now but have gotten nowhere. I work afternoons and varying days of the week. I could have saturday and sunday off one week, then tuesday and thursday the next. So as soon as I tell them that, they won't take me.

One place looked promising but they wanted to start me from scratch and I couldn't use my electric guitar for the lesson. Not that it mattered, because they wouldn't take me because of my work schedule either.

I might have to get a book or a DVD.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

why can't you take private lessons? find someone in your area on craigslist or advertise on craigslist. sometimes people will come to you.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

maybe you could find someone to jam with or a band. that always seems to make people improve.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

OWA, That is just lame on their part. They won't take you? If you cant find lessons then yes, I'd get some books dvd's And as Jason suggested find some people to play with.

I just started taking lessons but I still supplement them with a few bokks and a DVD...

Just don't give up...it'll all fall into place.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Only a couple places I called were non-private lessons. Most of the places, especially the ones out in the styx where I live, teach group classes, for kids. But they will try to locate a teacher for you for private lessons. However, no one wants to work around my work schedule.

People around here either assume:
1) You are a kid and have the summer off.
2) You are an adult working monday-friday 9-5.

If you don't fit into either of these, you are out of luck. I need a place where I can walk in, schedule ONE lesson, pay for it, then show up. Don't know if there is such a thing. Oh, and let me use electric guitar. What's the deal with learning on an acoustic anyways?

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5