Clear all

How the heck do you do this???

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am trying to learn a couple of flamenco pieces and this one has a part that I just find impossible!! The song comes to a part where you play 32nd notes on the same string. Flamenco is played fingerstyle and I always play with thumb gets low strings and pointer, index, and middle each get their own. I can not hit one string that fast, not even with a pick. My best guess is to hit the string with pointer, index, middle in series. I know anyway of doing it is going to take me about 10 years of practice but what do you think would be the best approach??

To understand what I am talking about, this is the tab. Look at/listen to measure 39: http://herso.freeservers.com/tabledit/othertabs/fgl_el_cafe_de_chinitas.tef Right click and save target as. It is written in tabledit and you can get the free version, tefview. Tefview allows you to also hear the tab. I find tefview worth having, if you don't have it already and you can get it hear: http://www.tabledit.com/tefview/download.shtml

The song is "El Cafe de Chinitas" by Federico Garcia Lorca. If the link above doesn't work, I got the song from this website:
http://herso.freeservers.com/tabs.html

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Try the pattern p-a-m-i for those figures.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

As Noteboat suggested or whatever is similar and comfortable. It's actually not all that difficult to learn. Just requires a little practice, and then it's actually fun.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ok, I said I use pointer, index, middle meaning I have some very interesting looking hands -minus a pointer and add a ring. Anyway, when you say p-a-m-i. Do you mean p as in pinky? I have never used my pinky before and have never really seen anyone advise someone else to use their pinky so, I just want to be clear. Thanks for the help guys, and hopefully one day I will know the joy of playing 32nd notes!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No, in classical guitar notation the names of the picking fingers are taken from Spanish:

p = pulgar (thumb)
i = indice (index)
m = medio (middle)
a = anular (ring)

some flamenco music will use the pinky... I've seen it noted as 's' or 'd' when it's used.

So you're trying to get a fast, rolling, near tremolo sound on a single string. I've actually seen some folks do this i-m-i-m, but they have better technique than I do :) I have to do the equivalent of a banjo roll with the right hand - either p-i-m-a or p-a-m-i. For extended fast passages, I prefer the latter - try it, and you'll see how your hand sort of works itself around the string, almost like you're rubbing your fingertips against each other.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I prefer the p-a-m-i as well. It's almost like tickling the string.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for clearing that up about the spanish names for my fingers. Well obviously, I for indice and M for medio are similar to index and middle, and I believe mean the same thing. Actually, we have a comprable word to anular for the ring finger in English also, annualry, so I knew what you meant by A.

The i-m is really awkward so I agree - I like the p-a-m-i better, it is less awkward than p-i-m-a. My fingers just aren't use to rolling like that especially while hitting the same string. The opening passage to the song I had to practice a bit to use my I M A fingers to do the almost rake over the bottom three strings correctly. It is going to take me a little while to be able to do this clean and even. Thanks again guys! I know I needed help on learning the best approach but have you ever noticed how many questions in the beginner section can just be answered with one simple word? Practice!

ReplyQuote
(@herso)

Hi. This is my first time on any forum. The piece you are talking about is from my website. I found this forum through the stats on my website.

You can download a video of "El Cafe de Chinitas" here:
http://herso.freeservers.com/freemusic.html
This piece is really a flamenco form called Peteneras. It has a 12 beat compas (note cycle) and is counted the same as Buleria and Guajiras. Sorry about the strange names. I'm not here to confuse you. I'm just giving you some background. The first beat of each 12 beat cycle is normally designated as 12. If all this is too much information, just play it as written. But it sounds so much better if the player is aware of this 12 beat cycle.
I played typical Petenera rasgueados patterns on this video to replace some chords.
See this page for more info on compas.
http://herso.freeservers.com/clock.html

As a rule in flamenco, we use only the im fingers for rapid single notes and scales.

The most common designation for the pinky is e = extremo Extremo means last
It's NEVER used to play single notes, unless you are deformed and want to enter the record books as the only freak to attempt it. The pinky is only used for rasgueado down strokes (Bass to treble).

The reason why i and m fingers are used almost exclusively to play a quick succession of notes is that the tendons of these fingers are independent of each other and have the most freedom to move. The m and a fingers share a common band of muscle between them which restricts movement. Whenever the m finger moves, the a finger tries to move with it. Because of this physical restriction, they can not move as fast as i and m. The a and e fingers have not one, but two bands of muscle across them, making them even more difficult to move independently when playing a series of notes.
Cheers

Sal Bonavita
Sal's Flamenco Soapbox

:wink:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the info, Sal!

I've only flirted with some flamenco pieces... and use p-a-m-i for repeated single string notes on classical because the motion feels very natural to me. I'll have to try working with i-m alone.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I guess i-m is the winner. Thanks for the help and the video. I was reading about the different compas today and I guess I should really study that a little more before I continue learning flamenco. Thanks again and I will certainly come knocking if I have any more trouble.

ReplyQuote