Clear all

Plain talk vs Fret logic

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking of getting one of these books - which one do you recommend? I don't want to buy something you can get for free off the interent ie the CAGED system, but then i'm slightly suspicious of anything claiming to be a "trick" or instant fix.

Also for those that have Plain talk by Kirk Lorange, the pdf version, can you tell me how easy it is to read and used compared to if it were a real book.

Thanks.
Mart.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's plane as in flying, talk

And they are really two different books.

I like Kirk's book a lot. It's much easier to understand and implement than Fretboard Logic.

Fretboard logic is more indepth, Plane Talk is more practical.

There is no trick to plane talk, it's a method of seeing. It will still take practice.

My review is here.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Nick, is this a good book for a beginner? I am just cranking back up from a long time off. Forgot a lot of what I knew 30 years ago. I know the basic cords and bar cords. nada on music and scales, both of which I am trying very hard to rectify this time around and making progress.
TIA
John

John M

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think it would be an excellent book for you. If you've got a grasp of the basics, this book will really open your mind to the fretboard.

Now if you are an absolute beginner? I wouldn't recommend either book.

Welcome back, by the way.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'll give you my two cents worth, I had bought the Fretboard logic books when I first strated and although after reading several times I put it away because I thought it was alittle too advanced for where I was.

No after reading this post and Nick's review I just purchased the Planetalk book in PDF format and am reading it as I write this.

Based on the two I would buy Kirk's book first and then Fretboard logic. I think Kirk's methodology is very similar to the CAGED system just a little simpler.

Some of what Kirk explained in his book I already had started to get a grasp on but there are somethings I'm reading now that are interesting.

But again as Nick said I wouldn't be these if you are just starting out I would wait till you've played for 6-12 months and are comfortable with open chords etc. I think it will come more naturally then.

Just my two cents.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Thanks Nick and cnev. I do have the basic down I think. Know most cords and can do bar cords. Scales I do not know and never made any effort in the past to learn. Now that I am trying to read music, learning the notes and trying to understand scales some things are falling into place. Others, like scales reasoning still allude me. Thanks for the responce and the welcome back!
John

John M

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

330M,

Then your ready for either of these books but having purchased FretBoard Logic first over a year ago and just buying PlainTalk yesterday I would recommend starting with PlainTalk.

It is easier to understand and more to the point, although I could have done without the comic book approach.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

cnev

Did you also purchase planetalk's dvd/video? I was considering buying his book and was looking for another opinion on whether to buy the video as well.
Thanks

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Laoch,

No I just got the PDF file. Not sure what's on the video though so I'm not sure how valuable it is.

The important thing to remember both books lay out a methodology to help you learn the notes on the fretboard using certain shapes/patterns.

In Fretboard logic it's the CAGED system and in Plaintalk it's three chord shapes used as the basis.

Obviously if you know where all the notes are on the fretboard it's gonna hlp your playing but just knowing them isn't going to make you a good soloist. These books will help you get to the right place on the fretboard, it's then up to you to know which notes to play and which not to play to make a good solo. And that to me will only come through practice, practice, practice.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

cnev, thanks. Looks like I will invest in Kirks book. Like you I am not a fan of comic books, but as long as it works! I will see what my funding is and more likely get the DVD also.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'm kinda the odd man out here, but I looked at a copy of Fretboard Logic yesterday, thought some of the concepts would be useful, and at only $10...

So I bought it, read through part of it, lots of it I already use, but this helps focus it more clearly and expand some of the ideas. Clearly, the author's target audience is those who have been playing for some time, but have never really put it all together, and in that respect I think the book is a wonderful tool.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Undercat,

Your right and it's kinda of the same way with Plaintalk and its a similar concept just laid out a little easier.

If I had bought Plaintalk first I probably would have not bought Fretboard Logic.

As I mentioned earlier I'm not a fan of the comic book style that Plaintalk is written in, but other than that it's fine.

To me both books are a means of opening up the fretboard to you but it won't happen by just reading them you still have to practice.

These will just kind of give you a jump start.

ReplyQuote