Clear all

How to add custom Avatar

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wasn't sure where to ask this, so thought I'd just post it here. How do you add a custom avatar? It wants me to put a URL in, and I don't have one that the picture is linked to. Anyone able to give me a hand on this?

Thanks!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

You need a home on the web for your picture.
If your ISP doesn't supply some web space with your account, then you need a free image host to upload your picture to.
That host should give you a link (url)to your picture when you upload it. Just copy-n-paste that link into your profile page, and you should be good to go.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thank you! Got it changed! I tried using myspace, box.net etc, but forgot about imageshack completely.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

You might want to think about re-sizing it before you upload it. The recommendation is 80x80 pixels and 6 K file size.
As it sits now, it's a bit over a meg in size, and about 3000 pixels wider than is needed for an avatar.

The site's HTML tells the browsers to display it as 80x80, but there's really no need for everyone who opens a page to have to download a huge graphic and then re-size it.
It's polite to the 56k'ers and you get to control the re-sizing process, rather than trusting someone else's browser to do it right.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay, not sure how to adjust the size of the image itself (don't have an editing program on the computer), but the size should be vastly lower than what it was, seems to load faster.

Thanks for the heads up!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

That works nicely. The folks on dial-up will thank you. :wink:

And if you were looking for a small, fast, and free tool to re-size images, check out Irfanview

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

photobucket,com is another image hosting site. last year they updated and now include editing; ie, picture sizing, coloring, warping, etc.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote