Clear all

tabs

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 caff
(@caff)
Topic starter  

Could anyone reccomend an iternet site that gives you good tabs for a beginner cheers

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

You might want to start here . . . or the link up there, at the top of your screen,
underneath the guitarnoise.com banner, where it says Easy Songs for Beginners.

Not only tabs but a narrated explanation of how to play the song with mp3s . . . by David Hodge.
. . . . and then there's the podcasts . . . lots of good stuff here.

Oh, and Welcome to GN.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

And, there's a great site called Chordie.com. I like to recommend this site to beginners because they include chord diagrams for each song. They also have a big chord chart that will give you some alternate fingerings for different chords.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There are also a couple of applications out there that are quite useful, and one of them is free. Power Tab (PT) and Guitar Pro (GP). These apps put it into sheet music form as well as TAB form, not just chord charts. It tells you when to strike a note or chord. It's particularly useful when you'fe trying to figure out what a peice is supposed to sound like. It plays a midi while it steps through the tab so that you get a visual and audio thing going at the same time.

PY is free and GP is like $60 or something.

One other note on this and really all internet TABs and chord charts, including PY and GP files. These are all created by the user community. That means user interpretation, choice of key and honest to goodness "mistakes".

Serious though, the links Electrablue sent and the beginner lessons from David Hodges are da bomb. Between the intermediate and beginner sections, there are dozens of songs with the pieces tabbed out complete with explanations about what they are and how they work along with sound files for a great many of them so you can hear what it's supposed to soundlike.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

There are some Power Tab sites with a list of tabs that coincidentally mirror the tabs in my collection of old Guitar World magazines and they are note on with the tabs from the magazines. Hmmmmm ....... :mrgreen: No, I didn't do it but some people do copy licensed tabs into the Power Tab format. No, it aint legal but they are out there. The nice thing with Power Tab is the built in MIDI player. The songs sound stupid, kinda like an early 90's computer game sound track, but you get an idea to their correctness. Some even have bass tabs. The program is a free download and I have a whole catalog of songs on my PC. The actual song files are tiny as they are just information and the program does all the work. It's worth the time checking it out, it really is. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member

The Ultimate Guitar site ( http://www.ultimate-guitar.com ) has a lot of tabs you can search (by song or artist), and you can filter by Guitar Pro, Power Tabs, Chords, etc. to fit your software or lack thereof. I've downloaded WAY more tabs than I can actually work on. :oops:

What I like to do is take a GP tab and manually combine the several tracks into one by choosing what I think is the most "important" part at that spot and pasting it into the main melody track. Then I spice up the single-line melody by fleshing out at least one note per bar (usually the first) into the primary chord for that bar. This provides me with a full, single-instrument version of a recognizable song that I (might be able to someday) play.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

The Ultimate Guitar site ( http://www.ultimate-guitar.com ) has a lot of tabs you can search (by song or artist), and you can filter by Guitar Pro, Power Tabs, Chords, etc. .

This is my favorite tab site also. The tabs are pretty good. If you're a beginner go with the tabs that are "Chords".

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

The Ultimate Guitar site ( http://www.ultimate-guitar.com ) has a lot of tabs you can search (by song or artist), and you can filter by Guitar Pro, Power Tabs, Chords, etc. .

This is my favorite tab site also. The tabs are pretty good. If you're a beginner go with the tabs that are "Chords".

Bob Jessie

x2. I've downloaded at least 80 that I want to eventually learn. And I'm sure there will be more. Some of the tabs are actually pretty good. Others are "why did this person even bother!?"

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote