Clear all

How to do these..

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm just wondering what I would have to do for each of them, so when I'm learning a song and it comes to one I'll know what I have to do.

/ slide up
slide down
h hammer-on
p pull-off
~ vibrato
+ harmonic
x Mute note

Cheers. :) x

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I'm confused, are you saying that you don't know what those terms mean? or that you know what they mean but can't perform them.

If you know what they mean but just can't do them yet then the only thing that will help is to practice the techniques.

If you are saying you don't know what these terms mean, then you should research them here at this site, with a teacher, or search the web for an understanding of how each individual one is performed.
it's would be pretty difficult and long winded to give a description of all of them, i would suggest taking them on one or two at a time until mastered before expecting to be able to do them all while reading a tab.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

http://www.geocities.com/penthaligon/tab_explained.html
http://www.classicalguitarmidi.com/tablature.html
may help

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

'm just wondering what I would have to do for each of them, so when I'm learning a song and it comes to one I'll know what I have to do.

/ slide up
slide down
h hammer-on
p pull-off
~ vibrato
+ harmonic
x Mute note

Here is the quick and dirty

/ Fret a note, pick the note, and while continueing to press down slide your finger to another note up the neck

Exact opposite

h pluck one note (fretted or open) and quickly and forcefully fret another note on the same string

p pluck one note while fretted and quickly remove your finger (you are supposed to pull down as well but I usually don't)

vibrato - fret a note, pick the note and while pressing down vibrate your finger quickly up and down (like rapid bends)

harmonic - pluck a note while softly fretting directly on the fretwire and remove your finger (done at 5th,7th and 12 frets)

x there are many ways to mute, you can use an adjacent finger to put pressure on a string so that it will not sound, you can mute with your strumming hand (palm muting) or you can mute with your fretting hand by barring all strings softly so that they don't ring out.

Some good examples

slides - Wish you were here lead - Floyd
hammer on - Tears in Heaven (second note) Clapton
pull off - What its like - Everlast
vibrato - Tweeter and the monkeyman- Traveling wilburys (intro and after chorus)
harmonic - harvest moon- Neil young (you can't miss it)
muting - folsum prison blues = johnny cash (palm muting) (throughout)
- Almost anything by Jack johnson (left hand muting) (throughout)

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote