Clear all

Plateauing of progress

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@jock-strummer)
Topic starter  

Hello there.
First post for myself. I have been playing for about 18 months - self-taught and at a stage where I can bang out the chords to about 60-70 songs but finding I lack finesse and don't think my technique is progressing any. I am reasonably musical and intuitive when I learn/play but this only gets me so far. Thanks to David Hodge's lessons I have picked things up here and there but I find I am indisciplined and not knowing what to do next to improve my playing other than learn yet another new song.

Should I get private lessons? Is guitarnoise.com adequate for all my learning needs? Should I be doing scales and buying books to practice from?

All suggestions welcomed.

BTW - is there any place where people send in their acoustic musings to listen/be listened to??

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Hi there - just wanted to say welcome aboard. Don't know how to progress myself so you shouldn't be listening to me ;) Check out the Hear Here forum over there :arrow: for posting your recordings.

Good luck

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Hey mate! Welcome aboard!

As Larsko mentioned, check out the Hear here forum for posting recordings.

As for plateauing, I've only been playing for 6 months or so and have only had one plateau during that time. What helped me was simply trying something different.

So my suggestion would be to do just that. If you've been teaching yourself for 18 months maybe check out a teacher (something I should really do too at some stage). Or maybe try some books if you haven't gone down that path before.

There is a wealth of info here at GN too so by simply joining us here you might find that in itself gets you up the next incline.

Good luck. 8)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Plateaus, I hate 'em. I just got past one that lasted 3 months. I didn't play at all for 2 weeks it was so frustrating.

Here is what I did. Pick something above your current ability, or something you started but gave up on and brute force your way through it. That helped me.

I had started Julia, Fields of Gold and Autumn Leaves but I hadn't gotten them to performance level. Now I have all three under my belt and I'm beyond the plateau.

I also made a three column list of all the songs I can play, need a bit of work, would like to play. I felt good about column one and practiced the heck out of column two to move it into column one. The stuff in the needs a bit of work column was both easy and intermediate.

The list really helps because you can see progress.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If it's just a question of finesse you'd probably benefit from jamming with somebody else or a group of somebody elses - nothing like playing in a band environment to tighten things up.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN Jock,

I once read that a plateau is a good thing. Thats when your brain is really absorbing everything it has learned. I find that when I have a plateau, its always followed by a big "BOOM" in progress. So, dont get discouraged.

Ciao,

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i think you need lessons. in fact i think it's so obvious that you need lessons that i won't elaborate.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I think lessons can only help. Why? A teacher does not think like you. He/she will have a much different perspective on things. A teacher will also focus what you're doing.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@jock-strummer)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses.....wrote out that list and found a large no. of songs containing difficult chord changes on the 'need to practice' column. Guess I will be working on my barres and finger strength this week!
Looked up a local teacher too and I start with him next week - just needed the shove....pearl the kat - no elaboration required!!
Cheers, Jock.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Plateauing, caused by: no longer being challenged by what your doing.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, it seems you have already taken good advice from the helpful people here.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I've been playing for about twenty years and am still learning new stuff.I would highly recommend checking out some of the blues lessons on this site.Just learning simple blues turnarounds can really get you motivated again.You'll be amazed at what your capable of.
Another good tip is learn to sing along with your playing.It will improve your strumming , timing and chord changes and add that finesse your looking for.Its a good test of wether you can actually PLAY a song or not.eg.if you can't sing along to it then you can't really play it.

Hope this helps

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote