Skip to content
Just purchased a ne...

Notifications
Clear all

Just purchased a new guitar, and have a few questions.

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@eyedea)
Topic starter  

I recieved my new guitar a Washburn EA8 electric acoustic. My guitar before this was another Washburn but not electric at all. Over all I am pretty happy with it so far, way easier on the fingers than my previous one.

However I have not picked out an amp for it yet. I bought a crappy amp from Target the other day (impulse purchase) and have already returned it.

I am looking for a decent practice amp. Nothing that loud or anything, also I would like something that has good distortion.
Will this even be possible on an electric acoustic? Or will the distortion sound terrible?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I personally wouldn't use distortion when playing my electric acoustic. You're much more likely to get unwanted feedback. I use the acoustic-electric strictly to amplify the acoustic and only use the clean setting on my amp. I do, however, use the same amp that I use for my electric which means that even on the clean setting there's a very small bit of distortion. If you don't ever intend to play an electric through the amp, you could look into an acoustic amp. That would give you the best possible sound for the acoustic. Otherwise, look into a decent practice amp but use the clean settings for playing your acoustic.

And welcome to the asylum for the musically insane!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I got my Martin acostic/electric I was so fired up to run it through my effects.

delay and reverb got me endless howling feedback.
no amount of adjusting the contro panel solved it.
so cross that off.
next I ran into my overdrive.
yea I got dirt but it was crappy. alo midrange and not loud or something one would brag about.
so cross that off.

chorus is a wonderful thing on acoustic.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Accoustic-electric and distortion?

Ummm . . . I don't think that will sound like what you think it'll sound like . . .

Try a compressor-limiter and maybe either a chorus or delay. Just a little bit of each will go a long long way. Play that through a very clean accoustic amp like an AER or a California Blonde and it should really make people stand up and notice.

But distortion? probably not so much . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I play my acoustic through a Fender Frontman 15W amp....nice clean tone, and riffs don't sound to bad with the gain up....solos don't sound too good though - but that amp is a good little practise amp, I got mine as part of a Squier Strat package so I don't know how much they are....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote