Clear all

How to jam with beginner guitarist and bassist

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bganoe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm still very much a beginner on guitar, I play basic open chords, E and A shape barre chords, and the pentatonic scale. I recently discovered my next door neighbor is a budding bassist. How would we go about jamming together? I've never played with anyone before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(@alangreen)

You start with one of two choices:

I Got Rhythm

or

12-bar

Then work out what songs he knows that you know

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Can either of you sing? Lyrics help with song structure. The best approach is to play simple/fun songs.

ReplyQuote
(@bganoe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Forgive my ignorance but what is I Got Rhythm?

Were both capable of singing but it would probably be pretty dreadful. What songs would you suggest to get started on?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'd stick with 12 bar blues. It's just the I IV V chords and he can just stick to the root notes until he learns his scales. You can mix the chords with some scale runs too.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Forgive my ignorance but what is I Got Rhythm?

Were both capable of singing but it would probably be pretty dreadful. What songs would you suggest to get started on?

The blues can work, but it's not for everyone. Other simple 2 and 3-chord songs abound. What do you listen to? Classic Rock, country, pop, newer stuff? Lots to choose from.

ReplyQuote
(@bganoe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What do you listen to?

Mostly modern rock (Godsmack, Seether, Staind), I also like 80's country (Alabama, Travis Tritt, etc), and some classic rock mainly Pink Floyd.

ReplyQuote