Clear all

How to make a melody with Certain chords

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@click26)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi If Iuse the chords C,A min,E min and F in that order how would I go about playing the meloldy in the same key as this so it sounds Right.

Is there a set way to do this for all chord progressions? would method be same for Power chords?

Thanks for any help

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It sounds like you're looking for a formula for creativity. If so, good luck.

All your chords are in the key of C, and between them they use all the notes of the C major scale. So sharp or flat notes won't work as well as natural notes.

If you use all power chords, you sometimes have more possibilities. With power chords you'd have no D note, so in theory you could use Db or D# in a melody. Whether or not they work depends on what you do with them - music doesn't follow a set template.

There's no standard way to create a melody. If you approach songwriting as composition, you start with the melody, then set chords to it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Here an example. First the melody, then some chords that might work. IMHO the chords support the melody and not the other way around, so spend your time thinking of good melodies instead of good progressions.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=5418825

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

arjen, that sounded real nice.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If the goal is to improvise over the given chord progression, you can't go wrong playing the chord tones ... it may not be the most interesting, but those notes will provide a good base for building a lead line.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@click26)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks for that sound clip,very nice.

So I think im getting it. If for example I have a melody using pentatonic scales in key of A. I would simply use chords from the Key of A to back it

Is this right.

How do I figure out the chords of each key?

On second thoughts maybe I dont get this :D

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Lets take the key of C, which I used in my example: C D E F G A B. The chords would be:
C E G = C-major
D F A = D-minor
E G B = E-minor
F A C = F-major
G B D = G-major
A C E = A-minor
B D F = B-minor 5b

So let's assume you've got this melody: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C. Basically just walking up the major scale with one note per measure. How can we add chords to it? Simply pick a chord that has the melody note somewhere in it and see if it fits. For example: C-G-Am-Dm-C-F-Bm/5-C.

You can then add more to create richer harmonies:
C E G B = CMaj7
D F A C= Dm7
E G B D= Em7
F A C E= FMaj7
G B D F= G7
A C E G= Am7
B D F A= Bm7/5b (Bdim for heroes ;) )

So now we can take the same chord progression and spice it up: Cmaj7-G7-Am7-Dm7-CMaj7-FMaj7-Bdim-C. Or maybe this: Cmaj7-Em7-Fmaj7-Bdim-Cmaj7-Dm7-G7-C. Whatever. Just play around and see what you like or don't like.

The examples: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=5420792

Ofcourse you could also play it in Am, which shares all notes with C. Something like:
Am7-Dm7-Fma7-Bdim/Ab (basically Abdim)-Am7-Fmaj7-E7 (with a G# instead of the G in E-minor because it sounds good before an Am7)-Am7. Or again, whater tickles your onion. Endless options with just walking up a scale, imagine whats possible with even the most basic of melodies. :)

ReplyQuote