How To Palm Mute? Please Help!

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,
I am trying to learn a new method of muting while strumming. As of now, I rest my fret hand on the strings and strum normally, however, it would be hell of a lot easier, given the songs I'm playing, to learn how to palm mute. I am very confused on how it's executed and how I could learn it. Could someone explain to me how it's done and how I can get good at it? It would make my songs sound so much smoother!

Thanks for the help

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Take a look here. Or, just type "palm mute" in Google - plenty of stuff there. Good luck

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa062401b.htm

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Here are a few examples via YouTube it's where I get all my info.Palm mute ala YouTube

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thank you both for the responses. Those videos on YouTube show palm muting mainly for power chords and stuff for heavy metal..what I'm playing is soft rock...where I play full chords..like G's and Cadd9's and other chords, not just power chords. I just dont' understand how I can palm mute effectively..thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

HisNameIsMatt

Palm muting for chords is really no different from palm muting power chords on the bass strings. You have to rest the side of your picking hand (pinky finger side) on the strings just ahead of the bridge. The side of your hand should be aligned parallel to the bridge. It takes a little practice to find that perfect spot. If you go too far forward it completely mutes the strings, if you go too far back you lose the mute. So you just have to experiment to find that perfect position. And most palm muting is done with downstrokes, but it works on alternate picking as well. But using all downstrokes will give a very even tone that you are probably after.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You also can't really strum all six strings so take the top 3 or bottom three and call it good. Otherwise you'll blow out your wrist.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@smitty420)

you want to rest your pinky side of your picking hand about 1- 1/2 of an inch from the bridge, or flloyd whatever your using. try downloading metallica - seek and destroy tab. this tab helped me figure out palm muting becuase its a single string palm mute.

--------------------|
--------------------|
--------------------|
--------------------|
-----------7-5-----|
-x-x-x-x------7-6-| repeat.

then try 8 x's and 7-6
--------------------|---------|
--------------------|-----5---|
--------------------|-------7-|
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|-7--6----|

i cant really write tabs so get guitar pro 5 and download it http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

ReplyQuote