Clear all

how to play slash chords?

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me with this, I'm trying to play The Band's 'The night they drove old dixie down', and the chords I've found for it include CG, C/E, F/E and C/B, and I've no idea how these are played, I would greatly appreciate if anyone could let me know. Thanks!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me with this, I'm trying to play The Band's 'The night they drove old dixie down', and the chords I've found for it include CG, C/E, F/E and C/B, and I've no idea how these are played, I would greatly appreciate if anyone could let me know. Thanks!

Slash chords just mean you play another note other than the Root note as the low bass note in the chord.

There are actually quite a few different ways to play all of these chords. In the open position you could use these:

C/G C/G C/E C/E F/E F/E C/B

e-0----0-----0-----0----1i----1i-----0---
b-1i---1i----1i----1i---1i----1i-----1i--
g-0----0-----0-----0----2m----2r-----0---
d-2m---2m----2m----2m---3p----2m-----X---
a-3p---X-----3r---------3r-----------2---
e—3r---3r----0----------0----------------

Listen to the recording to determine which string the bass note is played on. But it is most likely one of these chords.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the explanation Wes, it makes sense to me now, and easier to play than I thought, much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Jenny :D

Wes is correct (As always 8) )

Though, at times I use slash chords to determine a 'small' bass line.

The artist might use a couple in a row - I might then play the 'regular' chord,
then in the time before the switch to the next chord,
Play the bass note in the 'slash'....
If that makes any sense.

That way, with 2 slash chords in a row - you might end up with a 4 note bass run.

I don't know if it would work in this song - As I've never played it (Great song by the way! :D )

I do use this method in some John Lennon songs though - The one that comes to mind is GOD.

Anyway,
Hope you work it out. :D

Be lookin' for it on Isabelle's Beginers Video Thread! 8)

Ken :wink:

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ken, yes that makes sense, and I can imagine it working really well, I can't make it work for this particular song but thats not to say that it can't, could just be me! :lol:
Yes its a great song, another one of my faves, watching Levon Helm sing it makes me want to go learn drums! :lol: (Good God, as if the racket I'm making isn't bad enough already..)
Hmm at current rate of progress could be quite a while b4 I can go public with this one!

Haven't heard that John Lennon song, have to go and look it up.. thanks for the musical education :wink: problem is, its so easy to get distracted when I come on here1

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

A look a that will certainly help you:

http://www.jmdl.com/howard/guitarchords/index.html

A list of many many chords!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Clau20, very useful site, have it bookmarked for future reference.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuknBhy-lN4

believe

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Something I've noticed about slash chords......

If the bass note is already part of the chord (i.e. C/E, C/G) try playing the chord whose root note is the "slash" bass note....ie for C/E try an E (or E7) chord...

If the bass note isn't already part of the chord (ie F/E....there's no E in an F chord...) take the three notes that make the major triad - F, A and C for an F chord - throw the bass note in and see what you've got - in this case, F A C and E would make an Fmaj7 chord....

This doesn't always work - sometimes you might have to play quite a few chords in a short time - but it's a handy little rule of thumb.

For instance - when I learned "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" form listening to it over and over again, I played it as Am, G, D and F - later I learned that the G chord is in fact Am/G, but the G chord substitute sounds OK to me......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member

Also, if you have a bassist handy, just play the chord on top, and have him play the bass note. The bassist playing a non-root tone has an interesting sound, especially if it's the third. Non-chord tones are even more fun...

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks Vic, i think I understand.. I can substitute the chord altogether? :? And if it does not contain the first chord I add it in as a note, is that right? I apologise, I don't quite get how chords are formed yet, I must look into it properly, thanks for the info.
Also, if you have a bassist handy, :lol: Hold on, I'm sure I saw one in the back of the cupboard somewhere..
I wish!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I thought this thread would be about Guns and Roses :? :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote