Clear all

Improvisation

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have reach a new step as an advenced beginner guitarist today.

I was watching some videos on Youtube and I found someone who played a song I really like. It was not incredible, but he played it right. BUT after the solo, he played something that is not played in the song but it sounded very nice!

He started improvised and it was a real revelation for me ! (ok, not a so big relevation...)

I knew the song he played was in D minor. I put the CD and starts to improvise a kind of solo over the rythm guitar and as I know my scales (LEARN YOUR SCALES :wink: ), it sounded right and almost nice! I still have work to do, but it changes everything! I mean, you don't have to play the same exact thing to sound right

And what is nice is that what I enjoy the most is to play solos and melody. So now, I know how to have fun over rythm guitar that repeat 15 times in a row the same strumming pattern :)

But we still in a beginner Q&A forum, so I'll ask a question about that...

Even if I improvise, is there any "rules" I have to follow to sound right over the song? I mean, do I have to play a certain note when a G chord is played at the same time? When the singer is singing higher, does it means I should play around the 10th, 12th fret?

I noticed that sometimes, when I improvise over a song, it sounds good for some part, but for other, I don't know why, but I don't seem to fit in the song..

Or it is free for all if I follow the rythm of the drums? :)

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If it sounds good it sounds good. But in general the chords should support the melody, so there should be some relation to them. A good starting point is having your melodies be build around chord-notes. So if you play over a C-major chord you'll build a lick around the C, E and G notes. Try this: hit a chord note on the first beat of a measure then play whatever you like. When the chord changes, hit a chord-note of the new chord and continue.

ReplyQuote