Clear all

How to store guitar in its case

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@lucille)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

On its side or flat or it doesn't make a difference?

(@steves6)
Trusted Member

If the case 'fits' the guitar well, I don't think it matters...

But, Should it not be out on a stand, So Ya will play it more? :D

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It is irrelevant - all ES335s from Gibson or Heritage, all Gibson or Heritage LPs, all US Strats and all Burns Custom guitars should, without exception, be stored at my house....................

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@lucille)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Steves6, I have 5 dogs in my house, one which chews up all sorts of things. I actually am getting a guitar stand for when I need to set the guitar down for a minute, but it would be heartbreaking to find it chewed to splinters so I am going to store it in its case.

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member

I store mine on the wall on wall hangers. My cases are just laying around in random places in the house. The best way to store guitar is on the wall, out of the wa of kids dogs and the like. Thats just my opinion though.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Long term: Store guitars detuned face up in a sealed bag, in the case, in a sealed bag or tape the gaps on the case.

ReplyQuote
(@matthiasyoung)
Eminent Member

Most home don't have a room designed for proper storage of musical instruments, i.e. proper humidity and temperature. Keeping a guitar in the case is best for the instrument; however, keeping it on a stand may lend itself to being played more.

The problem with a guitar resting on a stand is that it can lose humidity, and strings will oxidize faster if not stored in the case.

This can be due to where in the house it is located, such as next to an air vent, or in the direct path of air motion.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I keep mine in stands at the school, or in a rack at home. That way they're readily accessible whenever I want to play.

When I put them in cases, they're usually on edge (they take less floor space that way). If the case fits well, it doesn't matter.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@lucille)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Keeping a guitar in the case is best for the instrument; however, keeping it on a stand may lend itself to being played more.

I think you are right. If the guitar is somewhere not convenient, it isn't going to be played as much.
So.....
I made some changes and cleared stuff out in my study. I have a large L shaped desk, so the guitar rests on top of the smaller desk inside its case.
I have a stand on the way, but it is going in the living room where I play sometimes, and will only stay on the stand for a few minutes at a time while I am right there even though the dogs do not hang out there unless I'm watching TV. One of the dogs is a Border Collie. My home is older and some of the inside doors do not latch well. She can now open those doors by herself.
The guitar gets stored in the case, but with the case 2 feet away from me when I'm sitting in my study I think it will be easy to get the guitar out of it, and play.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I have a favorite strat that's worth about the same amount as my wife's mini van. That thing gets dragged around the house propped up in corners, dropped... besides some dings and screws that need tightening that guitar is usually a few tuner twists from playing out. And it gets played all to briefly but very often. Moral of the story, don't think twice its alright.

Please don't report me for guitar abuse - for many years I babied guitars and cased them up and polished in between the frets with a q-tip... the guitars didn't seem to like it and would throw themselves from stands and stages. Now, I generally keep free range guitars (unless long term storage is required) and I only pen them for travel. The guitars love playing with my two young boys and I honestly think they are happier now and I appreciate them more. I swear guitars build up tolerance to trauma like kids do. There might even be some science to back that up much like older and well played guitars sweeten up over the years.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I have a stand in he living room [well 2 realy..] I never left my EPI LP on it though. I have two kids, and I could just see it getting knocked over!!! Now I mostly play my steel body resonator... it would need to be hit by a car to be hurt.. So she lives on it 24/7 unless Im bringing it somewere. Funny thing is... Its never been dropped, hit, nicked, or anything!! My youngest [6] likes to pick it up off and on and strum off and on, and is always good about putting it right back.. So I think the LP COULD live out.... but you know how that goes. :)

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

On its side or flat or it doesn't make a difference?

Acoustic or electric?

My (Gibson SG electric) guitar hangs on the wall all the time at home and is never in a case unless I'm going somewhere to jam. As a general rule, the guitar owner will be more careful with his guitar than others and in public guitars get beat up (even for the most cautious people).

So in public places I never like to have my guitar in a case with the neck standing up. Why? Anyone could just bump into it and it falls to the floor (and mine fell many times years back while cased and twice not). If the case is lying on its side there is no steep falling -- only possible kicking, tripping or miscellaneous falling on it. That's happened also but a lesser concern.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote