Clear all

How Would This Happen?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was playing yesterday and everything was fine. I set down my guitar and left for a while. No one was home so I know no one touched it. I came back about an hour later and started playing again and noticed it didn't sound quite right. I checked the tuning and the D string was REALLY sharp. I got it back in tune but Im curious as to how it got so out of tune just sitting in my living room for an hour. Any ideas? :?

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

My first guess would be that it was a little out of tune while you were playing but not enough to notice. Then while it was sitting there may have been a temperature change in the room and took it enough out of tune to make it noticeable.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

light falling on the guitar can cause it to heat and stretch making a string go sharp

humidity can do similar things.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

light falling on the guitar can cause it to heat and stretch making a string go sharp....

If a string stretched, wouldn't it go flat not sharp?

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

light falling on the guitar can cause it to heat and stretch making a string go sharp....

If a string stretched, wouldn't it go flat not sharp?

Dennis

No, when it stretches, there is more tension on the string, making it go sharp. When there is less tension on a string, it goes flat.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Could'a been a temp change like Nils said, could be the nut-slot for that one string was grabbing it a little and it 'plinked' when nobody was there - especially a wound string like the D.

If you were playing it for awhile the strings would warm a bit and you'd adjust it maybe, and then when the strings cooled they'd go sharp. But most likely all of them would, not just the one. I'm voting for the wound plink-thing at this point.

Or if you have a trem bar and a cat, the cat might've been doing some divebombs when no one was looking :)

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Or if you have a trem bar and a cat, the cat might've been doing some divebombs when no one was looking :)

That's probably what happened.... :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote