Clear all

I guess it's time to learn Vibrato

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Really know the minor pentatonic scales well and improvise/solo well, but really missing that "rock" sound without vibrato.

I can do vibrato slowly, with index finger, middle, ring, or all three. But it feels awkward doing it during a solo. Guitarists seem to do it in a fraction of a second? I guess I just need to practice and eventually it will be automatic and therefore I'll get that speed?

By the way, could anyone by chance upload or link a good example of a riff with vibrato?

thanks

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

I still don't have vibrato and bending right, and that's basically all I practice on my electric guitar, which I spend probably at least 5 hours a week playing recently. It just takes a lot of time. Move from the rotation of your forearm, not your individual fingers.

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The movement itself is not a problem, but incorporating it into my solos, seamlessly.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

In that case, as is the case any time when you have a solid foundation of good technique, just keep practicing. I don't have a movie that I can show you of a solo with vibrato or something, but I would recommend vibratoing going at quarter notes at 100bpm or something. Speed it up to 110 bpm, 120, etc. Go eighth notes eventually, vibrato every note in a simple and steady rhythm. Just keep increasing speed and practicing.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Red Dwarf, listen to Clapton. He is most well known for his incredible, voice like vibrato.

I have several video files I could send you.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Patience is the key, and alot of practice.

But I guess that goes for anything in guitar playing.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

To use it in solos you need to plan ahead what notes you are going to use it on. If you start playing a solo, hit a note and THEN decide to add vibrato, that's what sounds sloppy. If you plan ahead and mentally prepare to play vibrato as you are leaving the previous note, it will sound better. Then in time, the instinct for vibrato will become natural and you won't have to plan ahead any more.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Well something I did was play scales or improv slowly doing vibrato on all notes using all the fingers. Then as I got the feel for it I played it faster and faster. Then once I could play pretty quickly and smoothly doing vibrato on every note I could choose which notes needed the vibrato and play it really smoothly.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Look around here:
http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/guitar_lessons.html

Grab yourself a metronome and follow hummerlein's advise.

Cheers

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

When soloing a minor pentatonic scale, some notes definitely seems to sound better with vibrato than with others.

I don't know if that makes sense. What Martin6 said was interesting, planning ahead for the vibrato. Guitarists that can solo with good vibrato, it must happen in a split second inbetween each note, yes?

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Red Dwarf, listen to Clapton. He is most well known for his incredible, voice like vibrato.
Or check out B.B. King's "butterfly" style. "Different strokes . . . "

--
Doug C.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Or check out B.B. King's "butterfly" style. "Different strokes . . . "

--
Doug C.

Actually, it's called a hummingbird vibrato because of BB's rapid movement, like a hummingbird. I have heard Clapton's vibrato refered to as butterfly vibrato, though.

ReplyQuote