Skip to content
I just got a guitar...

Notifications
Clear all

I just got a guitar...How should I start?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@thade)
Topic starter  

I just got an electruc guitar for my birthday (Ok, I got it a month ago) and I'm not sure about how I should go about learning to play it.

I already know how to read music as I played piano for about two years when I was younger (16 now ;) ) I recently picked up a few books to learn about guitar essentials (eg. Tuning, changing strings) and I'm pretty sure I've got how to use my amp all worked out. I'm just kind of stuck with what I should do now. I've tried to convince my parents that I should ge a tutor but they think I should be able to learn how to play myself. I'm not so sure I can though...

Can anyone point me in the right direction? :)

(@itziks)
Estimable Member

try to learn some chords on your guitar with easy rythm patterns.
the lessons section here can help you much - it did for me.

it this doesn't work for you you could get a dvd - teching how to play the guitar.

if this doesn't work - then go to a teacher for some lessons to get you started.

also get an electronic tuner to tune your guitar fats and easy.

itzik

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I would learn some basic chords, like C, A, G, E, and D. They will take a few months to get down, and it may seem like changing to C is impossible...but stick with it. Using these chords and some basic strumming, you can play 1000's of songs.

Once you can play some chords and strum then try taking some lessons. By that time your parents will see that your commited and serious about it.

Try using both the pick and your fingers and see what sounds better to you. They both have a nice and yet different tone. If you want to play some lead guitar, start learning some scales down the road. Also, since you can read music, I would start learning the notes on the neck.

Also, have Fun!!!

-dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

I suggest the first thing you do is learn some easy songs.

Yes technique is important but practising it for the sake of it is boring and aimless.

As for what songs to learn first it's up to you. Most genres have an easy song you can learn. Obviously you can start with 'Easy Song's for Beginners' on this site, but tbh I didn't have a clue about most of those songs so I got some ones I knew.

The first song I learnt was Wonderwall by Oasis...

The key to learning songs is start slowly and speed up.

I think it's a good way to learn as it:

- Helps rythmn (if you practice correctly)
- Helps Chord transitions
- Expands Chord vocabulary
- IS FUN!

ReplyQuote
(@thade)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips guys. :D

I actually just started learning a few basic chords...Haha, C is kind of impossible now, but getting it right is a goal! And trying some songs is a good idea too. I think I have the tabs for a really easy Green Day song that I printed out before I got my guitar, I'll try and learn it in between practicing chords and scales (I think I've got C Major down already :) )

Hopefully soon my parents will let me get a tutor, I've been really motivated recently and don't put my guitar down too often. ;)

Thanks again guys! :) Any kinds of tips are helpful!

Oh, Just one more thing...What would be the correct posture when playing the guitar while sitting? I'm not quite sure...

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Thade

Look up "guitar posture" on the net - there should be loads of stuff on it.

One thing i would add. Do convince your parents to get you a tutor, even if they can only afford once a fortnight or whatever.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote