Clear all

That pesky F chord

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

This chord is just kicking my butt. I have worked on and gotten pretty good at handling all of the other basic open chords, but F is just not getting any better for me. I have tried moving my index finger around in all kinds of directions to get the bottom two strings to ring true, but I am not getting any consistent results. The only positions I can find that work with the index finger make it extremely difficult to get my other two fingers on their strings without them muting the others.

Any suggestions? Any link to a lesson page that shows the best way to get the F chord to sound out correctly? Do I need to build up the callouses on the side of my index finger? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Seagull M6 Gloss

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Look here https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13559

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Slow

OK. First things first. One of the main reasons you may have a problem isn't you at all. It MIGHT be your guitar!

I am serious - if it isn't set up correctly, playing a good F chord is MUCH more difficult.

If I were you, before driving yourself mad any more than you have already, pop into your local guitar store and get them to check the action of the guitar.

If they say its a "bit high" get them to lower it a bit. In particular, get them to check the action at the nut - this will determine how easy it is to fret the 1st fret. I hear that Gibson's in particular, often have a high cut nut so this is worth checking.

Right, once you have got that sorted, look at technique. Start just with your index finger, concentrate really hard on placement, it isn't necessary to squeeze the living daylights out of the thing, just get the strings to ring - don't bother with your other fingers.

If you can get the high E and B strings to ring cleanly with your index, its a sinch to move to a little cheat F fingered xx3211 - yeah?

From there you can either keep extending your index until you have got a full barre. OR - (BEGINNERS TIP BUT DON'T TELL YOUR TEACHER HA HA) wrap your thumb over the neck to fret the Low E first fret. This is much easier to do than explain. If you can do that you now have -

1x3211 which is a pretty good sounding F - just touch the A string with your finger to stop it ringing.

I know this is a bit "cheaty" but sometimes you have to make do.

But I strongly advise you to get your guitar looked at anyway!!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

Another option is try practising F# (of even 'barre G'). F is the most difficult as the barre is so close to the top of the fret board.

But if it's the shape that's giving you problem you can practise them on a different fret and the barre is easier.

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

I've been playing for six years and unless the action is low, I have to pay close attention to getting that F note on the 6th string nailed down.

If you are new to playing you might want to do execises that strengthen your fretting hand and fore arm.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.

On the few occasions I don't play a full-barre F, I play the 3 string version:

e|----x----
B|----1----
G|----2----
D|----3----
A|----x----
E|----x----

Much, much easier to finger than the 4 string version and just as good.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote