Clear all

I need a teacher...

36 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey all, I just picked up playing the guitar about a month ago and would like to continue formally learning the guitar. So i was wondering if there was anyone suitable to teach me in the Suffolk County region of New york, Long Island, Specifically in Dix Hills NY 11746. Im primarally interested in the genre of metal in the likes of it such as progressive metal(Dream Theater, etc.) If anyone could help me please reply. Thank you.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You could start by looking in the phone book and call the Guitar stores that are in your area that give lesson's. From there all you have to do is interview the teacher's that fit your needs the best. Tell them what genre your into. Songs your interested in and see what they say.

Ask the teacher's what type of routine/lesson plan's do they recommend and would teach you.

If you can, try to get a teacher that can explain why things sound the way they do (i.e. Basic chords, Theory, Scales).

Also, Ask the teacher if they play out with friends or shows that you could hang out at.

I hope you find the teacher that fits your needs the most.

Have fun and stay focused.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Pyaara, how far are you from Roslyn or Greenvale?

Although your interested in heavy metal, I don't think any teacher is going to start teaching you heavy metal right away. You'll need to learn the basics of all guitar. Scales, chords, jazz, blues, and then maybe special in metal. You know what I mean?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for replying Tracker and Taso. But Taso, I do not know exactly how far I am from Roslyn but I looked it up in Mapquest and found out its about 30 minutes at least. Thanks again for replying guys.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I need a teacher too... Soon. It may take a bit until you find one thats just for you. Get what you can outta a teacher and then find a new one. If you cant get anything out of them then find a new one.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Pyaara_Wala

If you live in Dix Hills there is a Guitar Center in Commack just north of the LIE in the new shopping complex next to the Commack Mulitplex. There is also a Guitar Center in Westbury on Glen Cove Rd a few blocks north of the Mall, also on Old Country Rd there is a Sam Ash somewhere near there. Go into those places and ask for some local instructors.

Also check phone book for music schools.

Tracker and Taso are correct. Basics like scales, technique and theory are essential.

Good luck from a fellow Islander.
Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Mikey where on LI are you?

And is 30 minutes to far? Lol, dumb question I guess.

Theres also a guitar center in Carle Place... I'm not really sure these places location relating to yours though.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I'm in Valley Stream, south shore, and on Long Island 30 minutes can be around the block at times. Certainly not too far.

I think Carle Place is the correct location for the GC I placed in Westbury.
Town lines are so vague around here.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

30 minutes actually can be a lot because of traffic jams and taking highways. But I was really wondering if there are any teachers here on guitarnoise. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah.. The likelyness of you finding a teacher from guitar noise near you on long island is pretty slim... so i figured if you werent to far away from Greenvale or Roslyn, id recomend my teacher to you.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If you haven't done so already, check out Musicstaff.com - it's a search engine for teachers, which you can find here:

http://musicstaff.com/

You can type in your instrument and your zip code and it will tell you of teachers within 5, 10 and 30 miles of you. Of course, those will only be teachers that have signed up with them, but there's a lot.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank dhodge that site is pretty good I found one in Dix Hills but they do not give away his/her address. Thats a big problem because the rest are pretty far. By the way I also have a question. Theres a store nearby our place called Gil Breins and they take an $18 deposit. Since when is there a deposit on guitar lessons. Isn't it stpid? or should I get a $25 dollar lessons with no deposit from a professional teacher.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I would imagine the $18 deposit is to guaranty your time slot. Time is money and if you schedule and don't show, that's money they could have made from someone else. I guess they've been burned enough times where they find such policy necessary.

Michael

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm mikey that makes sense. But it's still pretty stupid. I'm probably not going to go there, i mean what the hell is a deposit its ridiculous. I'm probably gonna look for a professional. I know one and he charges $25 per week. Each session is half an hour. Is it really worth it? Thanks guys.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Don;t think half an hour will be much time... I remember someone else posted (he was a teacher, can't remember who it was exactly) that by the time the guitar is in tune, theres not much time left for a lesson... Usually 45 minutes- an hour is good.

25 bucks for a half hour, is a decent price, but id see if you can get 45 minute lessons for around 30 bucks from the same guy.

Edit:

The deposit thing is really useful for them. That way you can't just cancel last minute and such. My teachers rule is generally, cancel 24 hours in advance, unless its an emergency, then he understands. Because otherwise they loose a lot of money threw cancellations.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3