Clear all

I need a teacher...

36 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Are lesson really worth it? Yes.

Is it possible that this teacher will be the right teacher for you? Yes.
Is it possible that this teacher will be the wrong teacher for you? Yes.

If you like this teacher and feel as if you want to continue with him/her, maybe you can ask him/her if they will give you a discount for pre-paid lessons. Maybe pay $80 upfront for four lessons, instead of $25 every week. But I wouldn't ask until I knew I liked the teacher.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

About the deposit, will I get that $18 back if I attend the lesson as scheduled? Also, do you guys think I can just learn off DVDs and Computer Software and stuff on the internet?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

you definitly can get a good start on the net. I used the net for about a year, and then went to my teacher. I have a lot of respect for players who don't have a teacher and manage to make something of their playing.

Although, eventually, you will want a teacher.

I'd suggest playing for a few months, maybe a half a year, and then getting a teacher. You can learn ALL the basics on the net, so why pay someone to teach you them. This site is great for that.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Taso, I just might wait a little while before going to a teacher because I have a feeling it'll be a scam. Like he'll teach me what I already know. I can play the main riffs to Sweet Child of Mine, Kitnee Sadiyan, Knockin on Heavens Door, and Horse with No Name. I know all the major chords and some minors. I still have trouble with switching chords, takes me about a second. I don't really see what he can teach me except something dumb like how to hold a chord "right." I don't think I'll need a teacher right now. Or Do I? I've been playing for 2 months now.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I went to a teacher for about a month or so. I wanted to make sure my form was good and I was doing things correctly. It ended up where he helped me with some of my chord changes. After that I didn't go to my lesson's anymore. So I'm glad I went for the month.

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm, I guess I'll just go for one lesson, but I'll make sure my guitar is fully in tune so he/she doesn't take advantage of time. I'm pretty sure that's what they will try to do, doncha think?

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

No.. I don't think most teachers are in the biz of ripping people off. Ripping people off $25 at a time? Do you think they are going to get rich that way. :roll: Plus a lot of biz they get is word of mouth / referral. And people that make a living off of referrals know that a bad referral goes 10 times further 10 times faster than a good one.

But you should bring your guitar as in tune as possible, putting a guitar into a gig bag will likely toss it out of tune unless you have locking tuners (but maybe even then). Best bet is to show up early and tune while you are waiting.

But if you are going to go in with the attitude that this guy is JUST GOING TO RIP YOU OFF, then anything good he does will be minimized and anything not to your liking will be grossly over magnified. In that case you're better off not going at all.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Pyaara,

Although you can learn online, I wouldn't recomend that as your only way of learning. Do that for a few months, so you can develop a bit of your own style maybe.

But a teacher won't teach you just 'basic' chords. Theres alot more than just the major chords..You'll learn hundreds of new ones, jazz chords especially. And jazz technique is very imporant to metal players.

Don't think that he will try to rip you off, thats very unlikely. Talk to a friend, or anyone you know who has a teacher, and try their guy for a bit. Thats what I did, and I think my teacher is great.

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I guess i'll go for the lessons. Still feel wierd about it but I guess I'll go for it since you guys think it's a good idea. Also, I just got permission to get any electric guitar and amp I want from my mom. Got any suggestions, guys?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Price range? Favorite bands?

Gonna need to know that before we can give any recomendations.

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I want an Ibanez elec guitar. Price can be ranging from $200-$500 U.S Dollars.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Is the 200-500 dollars just for the guitar or, guitar amp, strap and chord?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Ibanez eh? Can't help ya there...No nothing about em.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

This is an Ibanez starter pack if your interested.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/519659/

Here is another for 10 bucks less.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/519658/

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Lol thanks guys but I think i just got a sweet deal for a 24 fret black washburn used in pretty good shape, 2 chips on the side not even seeable, humbucker, single, single. okay neck and kool headstock, for $99. with a marshall amp (15W, with equalization and reverb and overdrive) a 10ft cord and a $40 gig bag. nice?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3