Topic starter  

i was reading a tab and found this
E---------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------------------------------------
D--0-x-0-0-0-x-65----1-x--555-888-------------------------------
A--0-x-0-0-0-x-65----1-x--555-888-------------------------------
D--0-x-0-0-0-x-65----1-x--555-888-------------------------------

what do the 65 and those 555 and 888s mean how do you play these?

(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

That passage is in Dropped-D tuning. All you're doing is taking your low E string (the thickest one) and dropping it down a whole step. Using a electronic tuner is usually best (until you can do it by ear!).

However, if a tuner is not available, then go ahead and tune the low E string down until it matches the A string (the 2nd thickest one) at the 5th fret.

As to the TAB, when it says:

-6-
-6-
-6-

That means play the those strings at the 6th fret.

Hope this helps!

~Ryan

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

This:
-----
-----
-----
-555-
-555-
-555-

is a bar across the 3 lowest strings (apparently in drop-D tuning).
I believe, since there is no space between the notes, that it might be played as a triplet, a rapid down-up-down in the space of 1 beat. (Maybe the passsage you typed is two bars?) I'm not sure though. Does that sound like it would fit the song?

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

Tab is virtually impossible to play accurately, unless you know the song, or have the song to refer to and follow. This is why people should learn to read notation if they want to be able to play from sheet music (I really should start learning one day...)

Add to which, the tab, if it was pulled from the net, could have been written by a complete psycho, or a virtuoso. The amount of times I have seen tab submitted on a site as "100% correct!", then looked at the official music book and find it totally different....well, its a lot.

Sometimes people will try to use the dashes that signify the strings as rests of sorts, spacing out the notes as accurately as possible. Sometimes they will just roughly group a passage together in one lump, putting in a couple of spaces in between each passage. Sometimes the spaces are put in at random.

It's a shame, because free tab on the net has been the most useful thing I have come across since starting the guitar, yet I get really wound up when people just chuck tab on that they haven't taken any care over.

Anyway, back to your question, that group probably means that those chords are played in quick succession. Three chords at the fifth fret quickly, then three chords at the eighth fret.

What song is it from?

ReplyQuote