Clear all

Slighty used; Good idea?

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have any good stories or horror stories about a slightly used guitar? It seems the price is right if it has the same sound...any comments welcome, thanks.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

(@slydog)
Reputable Member

The one in this picture was purchased from a pawn shop for $185. I'd say that purchase worked out OK.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I have an article on how to buy one and what to look out for:

How to buy a used acoustic guitar

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

I've probably owned 35-40 guitars in my life. Out of those only one of them was brand new. I spent probably three times more on it than I would've if I had bought a used guitar. It turned out to be the worst guitar I've ever owned.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It all depends on how you shop. I couldn't care less how many owners a guitar has had - or what logo is on the headstock - I care how it sounds and plays.

At the moment, just over half my guitars I bought new. Ten years ago the opposite was true - but nothing changed in what I look for. If the new guitar plays and sounds better than anything else I've looked at, that's what I buy.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Bull
(@bull)
Trusted Member

I love buying off the web!

I like to look in a guitar store, but walk out!!! Then look it up on the web.
You will get a good deal.

1. I got a new Stander Squire for 105$. 200$ new
2. A Fender Showmaster Scorpion for 350$ (2-Hum). 700$ new
3. And a Blake Headless for 150$. ? new.

I love all off them- A pig in a poke. Sight unseen. But I sent an email to each seller, and have all my questions in black in white. Ask everything!

Look, Look, Look.

Take your time, and know how to say NO!

I had places call me up a week latter, and offer me a deal.

This is weird- But my Blake sounds better than the Fender? It's my amp I think?

But if you can call and talk to someone, face to face, If you buying a 2nd hand guitar, ask about everything. Body, neck, frets, paint, pick-ups, strap posts, and how its sounds. Have them plug it in and ask about the volume and tone knobs, if they sound clean when turning them, everything.

I think most people selling a guitar on the web, are up front when telling you the condition of the guitar.

Keep a copy of all emails questions; if the guitar is not up to your standards, you may have to prove it in court.

-Bull

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

My acoustic is used and it's great.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

My Ibanez was bought used, for a mere fraction of it's new value. As long as the previous owner(s) took good care of it, buying used is a very good option.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Pawn shops are a good place to look. They usually have a decent selection of instruments to pick from and you can get some good deals by haggling the price. You can really cash in on some other musician's money troubles, as bad as that sounds.

And think about it as an investment. Say you bought an Epi LP brand new. You instantly lose money when you take it home. It's resale value might fall around 100 dollars or so. If you buy used in the same condition it's value is allready dropped, you've paid the used value price so when you decide to resell you'll probably get all of your money back. Maybe less, it all depends on how well you take care of it.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

While I am a big fan of buying used, don't forget your local guitar shop. They have used stuff too, and they will usually service it properly. You may not get the rock-bottom best price, but you're likely to get a better value.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

awesome, no negative reviews so far =P I'll be looking around to see what i can get. Thanks everyone.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I think anytime you can buy used, and save a few dollars it's a good thing.
But sometimes cheap can really be expensive, especially if your not familiar with what you're buying, I learned this buying a used computer.

If this is one of your first guitar purcahses, it may save you money in the long run if you can have an experienced player check it out first.

New or used it's always cool getting a new guitar, it's like finding a new friend........

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

awesome, no negative reviews so far =P I'll be looking around to see what i can get. Thanks everyone.

Hey as long as the guitar feels good it makes no difference to me whether it is new or used (although my wallet likes used guitars better!). 8)

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@palehorse)
Eminent Member

My used Fender strat is REALLY used, with stickers on the back and scratchs, dings...

But, it plays like a dream, the neck is true, no buzzings and I paid maybe one fourth what it would have costed new.

----------------------------------------------
Life is a snowmobile racing across the frozen tundra that suddenly flips over pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come...

ReplyQuote