Notifications
Clear all

i really need help

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@awesomeassassnx)
Topic starter  

ok i got a new guitar in january and about a month ago i broke my e string and about two weeks later i broke my b string now when i replaced my b string it went in tune just fine ,but when i tried my e string the tuner stops at G and the digital needle wont move up and i need it to go up to get it in tune any ideas on how to fix it?

(@tmarius)
Trusted Member

ok i got a new guitar in january and about a month ago i broke my e string and about two weeks later i broke my b string now when i replaced my b string it went in tune just fine ,but when i tried my e string the tuner stops at G and the digital needle wont move up and i need it to go up to get it in tune any ideas on how to fix it?
It could be that the string keeps slipping around the tuning peg when it gets to a certain pitch. Make sure the string is kinked around the peg properly to ensure no slips occur.

If you have a quick look around GN there is a good article that covers the correct way to kink the strings, i forget exactly where it is. But it's a useful guide.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Hope that is of some use to you

Tom

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

It sounds like you have slippage on the tuning pegs, could be you don't have enough of the string wrapped around it.

I don't necessarily kink my strings or do a over/under thing. I make sure I have a 'least' amount of wraps around the tuning pegs. On the 'wound' strings I like to have at least three wraps around the peg. The unwound strings (Trebles) I like to have more.. up to six wraps on the High E String.

The technique I use to gauge the right amount of slack is after I've threaded the strings over the bridge - over the nut, into the peg's hole and pull it a little taught.. I'll hold on to the string end then lift the strings off the fret board about 5-6 inches at the 12th fret with my other hand (still keeping some tension on the string so it doesn't go slack. Then I'll fret the string at the first fret and hold the neck at the same time with that hand. The other hand winds the string up. With the "Fretting" hand I use my index finger to make sure the string feeds around the peg UNDER the hole so the winding it true.

If you don't have a peg winder, I'd suggest to get one. They're cheap yet valuable little tools.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote