identification of an electric

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I bought an electric off of a buddy, but he had no idea what kind it was. The only words that I see on it are ( Series A ) up by the tuners. Any help?

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Hey J Rock, any chance of a photo of it?

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That's a good idea. I'll work on it.

ReplyQuote
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok. I finally got a photo of it. But where can I post it so I can put the link on here?
Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You can try http://www.photobucket.com I think they have a free option

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wow.........and I thought I was the only one that played one of those........whatever make they are. Mine has the words Series A on it too.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Ok. I finally got a photo of it. But where can I post it so I can put the link on here?
Thanks

I'll host it for you. shoot me a pm

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

"Series A" guitars like the one OneWingedAngel shows were made in the orient, probably in Korea, in the 1980s/90s. There are websites that claim they're Japanese, but I don't think so... I think they're confusing "Series A" on the headstock with the brief run of Teisco 'series A' guitars made in Japan in the mid 60s - but Teisco's was a model designation, not a brand name.

Series A doesn't seem to exist in any manufacturing directories I have here - it was probably a struggling guitar maker who decided to make a new brand name to rip off the designs like the Strat, Les Paul, and others, and made inexpensive duplicates.

As is often the case with lesser known brands from Asia, reviews of Series A guitars view them as junk - but reviews written by people who own Series A guitars tend to speak of them as being decent guitars for the money... one quote I found was "It's not a Les Paul, but it's probably 95% of a Les Paul - at 5% of the price".

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok. Here they are. Pretty similar to the one above.

ReplyQuote
(@imiron)

I had a Series A many moons ago. The reason I got it at the time was because it was the cheapest one in the store. :) The impression I got was that it was some sort of generic brand. Like a guitar you would buy at Sears.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I bought mine because it was the best in the store. The store sells nothing but used instruments. I'd say I got what I paid for. I can't really say if I agree with the reviews. My guitar has had some modifications, I can't remember them all but I do know the pick ups were changed and a humbucker was added.

Don't think they are like Les Pauls though, mind you, I don't like Les Pauls, find them hard to hold and the necks don't seem to fit my hands. So that may not be an objective statement. But the tone on a Les Paul is probably better.

ReplyQuote
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

One Wing Angel, Can I ask you what you paid for yours? It would give me an idea as to the value of mine. Not that it is important, I'm just curious. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I paid less than $200 but can't say the exact cost of it since he waved some taxes as well as included a bunch of free stuff with that. Also as I said, mine has had some modifications to it, but I hope that helps.

ReplyQuote