Notifications
Clear all

I'm probably just retarded

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@adam-j)
Topic starter  

I bought an Ibanez s520ex after deciding to take up guitar,I've seen numerous vids of people playing it and it sounds badass.Yet when i finally got mine, after tuning the guitar and trying it out, it sounded like crap.It was actually worse-sounding than my friends busted Yamaha Pacifica.I had a crappy 15watt amp and put it down to that, so bought a better amp.But it still sounds like little more than a bassy acoustic through that.I don't have a foot peddle...but am pretty sure that guitar should not sound that crappy, even without one.Any help greatly appreciated.I'm a total n00b :cry:

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i believe it's a metal guitar. how does it sound with the distortion turned up?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi Adam and Welcome to GuitarNoise

I don't know anything about this guitar so I looked up some reviews. It is advertised as a Metal guitar, and the pickups are Ibanez design. It is probably voiced very dark for Metal.

I would say pick up a EQ pedal like this Dano 7 band.

Danelectro 7 band EQ

This pedal is inexpensive but works great. You will be able to cut or boost particular frequencies to get the tone you want. You will like it. There are other brands as well, check out Boss or MXR.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Did you get an amp with a distortion channel? I know on my cheaper Ibanez, it really kicks in when distorted.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@adam-j)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses everyone.It looks like it is just as simple as me not having an effects peddle, then.Which is a relief....didn't want to send it back.Thanks again :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

have you messed around with the gain or distortion knobs on your amp? what kind of amp do you have?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

^ very good question.

Check the bass knob, treble and mid. Also the presence, it really depends on your amp. Check the tone knob on your guitar.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote