Notifications
Clear all

Input please...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joey84)
Topic starter  

I seem to have run into a little problem with my acoustic.
When I fret the thirteenth fret of the high E string, it does one of two things; it doesn't ring at all. It just makes a buzz-like sound. Or there's the odd time that it will decide to ring, but it rings as if I'm fretting the twelfth fret instead of the thirteenth.

As a result, I went and changed my strings, thinking that that might have been the problem. Well....No luck! :(

Any input on this would be much appreciated.

Joe

(@xuelong)
Eminent Member

There could be several different problems that cause the symptom you are having. It could be that the neck is bowed, or there is a problem with either the 12th or 13th fret. Maybe the 12th is low/worn or the 13th is lifted. It could also be a bridge issue. It is definitely not the strings though. I think your best bet would be to take the guitar to your local shop and let them have a look. They may be able to make a quick neck adjustment while you wait.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I agree, it could be an intonation problem, a bowed neck, worn frets....

Take it to a guitar shop and get them to look at it; don't try and adjust the neck yourself, even though there are guides for how to do it. It's a delicate procedure and if you do it wrong you can really hurt your guitar.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote