Clear all

ionian scale

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello fellow guitarist, in my quest to become a lead guitar player i need to get my scales down, i heard about a ionian scale last night, could someone please explain and a tab would be fantastic.

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

(@spides)
Estimable Member

i could be wrong but i think that ionic is the same as ionian, which literally means major scale.

You're gonna hate me saying this, but the best way, in my opinion, to learn scales, is learn the notes of the fretboard and then learn the theory of what notes go into what scales.

Too many guitarists get stuck in the first position of scales because they don't know the names of the notes they are playing.

The ionian or major scale is constructed with the interval pattern of TONE,TONE,SEMITONE,TONE,TONE,TONE,SEMITONE

A semitone is the equivalent of one fret or one key on a piano. A tone is double that.

Therefore an F Ionian, as an example, is F, up two steps to G,1 Tone to A, semitone to Bflat, tone to C, tone to D, Tone to E, Semitone to F.

All of that shit does ones head in, so a much easier way to remember scales is knowing the key signature.

F major has one flat, Bflat, so only playing natural notes but flattening the B will result in F Ionian.

A good reference for key signatures is the Cycle of Fourths/Circle of fifths. This is used religiously by all jazz players and, hopefully most guitarists.

These links take you to some fretboard patterns for first position major scales, and to a cycle of fourths. I reccommend memorizing the cycle, it serves very well.

Sorry if this is all a bit of a kick in the head but i reckon this stuff is all uber important to learn the right way first so you don't have to get so far and then relearn.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It's the Ionian Mode - a mode is a snapshot of the major scale starting on a particular note, and the Ionian Mode is "the major scale starting from its tonic."

If there's anything in Spides' reply you don't understand, then you need to head over to the lessons on this site. Look for Theory Without Tears, and Scales Within Scales - both by David Hodge (not a real person, but a musical supercomputer we plug in when we need some top-class lessons).

Scales can be very boring - I have to know some of them in four different fingerboard positions for my Classical Guitar exams - don't forget the fun stuff.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

Thanks allan i get a bit passionate about this stuff and can occasionally get carried away.
I really get excited by theory. Does that make me sick?

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Thanks allan i get a bit passionate about this stuff and can occasionally get carried away.
I really get excited by theory. Does that make me sick?

It means you need to get out more. Go join a band, that helps big time.

A :D

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

is there a IONIAN tab that anyone knows?

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

is there a IONIAN tab that anyone knows?

A tab would depend on the key, because you need to know the root, which determines where the scale starts.
If you know the major scale, you know the Ionian mode.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

http://www.theorylessons.com/ionian.html

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote