Notifications
Clear all

Is a case necessary?

33 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Yeeeeaaaah, buuuuuut.... every time I can spare enough money for a case, I buy a pickup. Or a pedal. Or a 12string acoustic that would've been cheap at twice the price. etc. When there's cash in my hand and I have a choice between something that'll make me play more or something that encourages me to put the guitar away, I know which I'm getting

:D :D

Yeah, there's a few things that I "ought" to buy, but never quite do...

I guess it's a case of "horses for courses"... we all have different priorities and comfort levels about things.

The most expensive single thing I ever bought gets very little attention - it sits out in the rain and heat, it's usually dirty, stuff gets chucked on it and in it and so on. I know that it will wear it out in the course of a relatively few years, but it doesn't really bother me - I've had twenty or more before, and I treated them much the same.... :shock:

But then they were cars, not guitars. :) I'm a bit more fussy about instruments, even though they cost a fraction of the price of the car. But the bottom line is that I can still repair or replace a guitar if it gets busted in some way - so I try not to get too fussy about them... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I don't keep any of my guitar in cases, except for my project one. It's in a gig bag, because I don't have a stand for it. I leave two at my parents house, and keep two in my apartment when I'm at school. The two I keep with me experience more abuse from the furniture in my room because of space, but the temperature or humidty doesn't bother them much. A dehumidifier is a good idea, I think.

Transportation wise, I usually put one of my acoustics in a hard shell case, and the other in a gig bag when travel in a car, if I was starting to play shows or anything though, I'd use two cases just to keep them safe.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@nopeddler)

If you are not carefull a case can also wreck your guitar. Too much humidity can rust the parts, cause warpage, etc.
I only use a case when the guitar leaves the house. If you are carefull and don't set them in your walking path they won't get damaged. Just keep them away from the heat vent and out of direct sunlight. If you are in a dry climate you will need to use a humidifier. 45 to 50% humidity is perfect for guitars.
A good stand is very important.

I agree with the statement above- out of site, out of mind.
my 2 cents.

Gary

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3