Clear all

Is it too soon...?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...to learn more advanced playing techniques like arpeggio's, etc.

Just a general question for a beginner like myself. Playing now for a few a little over a month. I've been working through the Hal Leonard Guitar Method books. I get in about 2-3 hours a night practicing (usually with a metronome, which I find has been tremendously benificial) and just about finished with book 1. All and all, I'm generally pleased with my progress. To keep things interesting I also have a book with some blues riffs and licks that I like to mix in with my Guitar Method practice (I find practicing the different style really helps me out with my general finger work, for lack of a better term).

My plan is to work through books 2 and 3 as well which seem to introduce some more advanced techniques as you go. My question ,though, is whether or not it hurts to branch out and move ahead with some more complex techniques of interest (I mentioned arpeggio's because I just love the sound) or do I hurt myself by trying to take on too much too soon.

Any thoughts/feedback greatly appreciated.

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I've been playing for almost 5 months and I agree with you. Arpeggios are beautiful.
And not that hard because you're just picking (for the most part) the strings in the chord.

David Hodges does a great job of providing some excellent beginner song lessons with arpeggios.
I started with House of the Rising Sun (one of his beginner song lessons). But unless you've started barre chords in your lessons I would wait to tackle that one, if I were you, because the song has the dreaded F chord.

But the one I just started today is Silent NIght because David Hodges did a REAL GOOD job of making a simple song sound beautiful with his arpeggio arrangement.

Here's the lesson: https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=91

If you have a videocam, you might want to join some of the Beginners on the Hear Here board who are submitting some of our modest attempts at playing the guitar. If not, you might want to just watch and laugh (with us).

Here's our "spokesperson", Dylan Barrett's last submission (of Silent Night).
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35807&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=225#p339928

BTW, David Hodges, in your lesson you mentioned plans of more songs with the melodies and arpeggios.
Would you post those links here in the Beginner's board when you put those songs up please?
I'm looking forward to them. Thank you.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I'll have to go dig out my copy of Hal Leonard, but if I recall correctly, a number of the excercises, particularly as you get into the second book are arpeggios. Many beginner books use them but just don't call them as such. But let me go look through my things to make sure...

And Ken, while it's not technically arpeggios, the fairly-recent lesson on As Tears Go By ( https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=624 ) might be the sort of thing you're looking for. I don't usually post links to the new stuff here on the Forum because I assume people look on the home page from time to time to see what's new (or they get the free newsletter, Guitar Noise News, to keep them up to date). If it's really easier to post everything here to keep folks in the know, I'll be more than happy to do so.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Thanks for the link, DH
Ummm.. I just tried subscribing to the newsletter. This is the one that you type your email address into, right? on the home page of guitarnoise.com? Well, it seems to reject AOL addresses. So I used my BellSouth address.
And I rarely go to the home page of guitarnoise. I originally bookmarked the forums and have always come directly here.
But I guess I should bookmark the home page and then come here after perusing it.
I just discovered your podcasts there. So I guess now I'm one of your pupils (like it or not). :P

Sorry, about diverting the topic to things like newsletters and podcasts.
I so easily lose focus. So many directions to go . . . Oldtimers disease I guess. :roll:
I'll shutup now and go away.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info. gents. I'll definetely check out the lessons you mention.

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ken, I was just looking through the Hear Here forum and came upon your posting "Guitar at 2 months"...just wanted to say that was AWESOME.

ReplyQuote