Notifications
Clear all

New

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@sturn22)
Topic starter  

Hey, I'm new here, not sure if this belongs in this forum but it seemed like the best fit.

I've never played the guitar before, just strummed around on a friends way back. I used to play the sax extensively, little drums, but always wanted to get into the guitar, but I know nothing about it, so pretty much I just have a lotta questions and was hoping I could get a few answered right off the bat here.

1. What type of guitar to get..I know it sounds vague, but I've been looking at acoustic vs. electric, and leaning towards electric. I'm not going to be playing in a band, just by myself, or sittin around a campfire, that kind of thing. I've heard that what you listen to is what you should consider when choosing what kind, and personally when it comes to rock it's Neil Young, Dylan, Clapton, etc.

2. I'm left-handed. From what I've heard, lefty guitars tend to be more expensive, but I also heard that many southpaws have ventured out and just gotten right-handed axes and been just fine. For some reason when I think of this I think Joan Jett. ehh

3. Brand of guitar. Even though I have absolutely no experience playing guitar, it's something I've been devoted to starting for a while, so I've been putting away money for it, and want to buy a decent-nice guitar right off the bat. It's confusing to me when I look at these $2,000+ Gibson SG's, and then see a Epiphone Les Paul (a shoot-off of Gib's version, I'm guessing?) for $200. Is there any difference between them in what you get, equipment wise, besides quality and all that? Speaking of that, will I need an amp if I get an electric? Or when strumming with those can you play without one.

Thanks to anyone who can answer some of these in advance, much appreciated.