Notifications
Clear all

Is there a correct procedure for removing the pick from the

17 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@kaycee)
Topic starter  

soundhole? I have dropped it in there twice in the past two days!
I am terribly new- my fingertips are still nice and soft. I know this sounds like a silly question, but I don't want to ruin my guitar. I fished the first one out by sliding my hand under the strings and grabbing it, after about 30 minutes of shaking the guitar above my head, turning it this way and that.....
Is there an easier way?
Should I just leave them in there?

Thanks in advance. I have found this site- the lessons and forums- to be immeasurably helpful.

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

haha, I always found a buzzsaw to be helpful...

Shake it, fish it out, there is no official procedure. I go with shaking though personally.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Vacuum cleaner? :twisted:

Or buy lots of picks. :?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Here's my 'never fail' method :D

Holding the guitar flat (strings up), manouver the pick into the centre exactly below the strings. Then with a super fast flick turn the guitar upside down. The pick will fall out onto the strings (or floor).

ReplyQuote
(@kaycee)
Topic starter  

Thanks all for the help. I was beginning to wonder if that is what the allen wrench that came with my guitar is for!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I use the same method as Fretsource. You might need to jiggle it up and down to get the pick under the strings - there are braces that divide up the guitar back, so you'll need to jump the pick over them.

The good news is the whole problem goes away as you gain control. I haven't lost a pick in a guitar in at least 15 years - but about once I month I show a student how to get one out during a lesson :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Take a handfull more, chuck'um in and you got yourself a home made maraca. :idea:

Welcome to guitarnoise! :D

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Manoeuvre the pick into a position below the soundhole then get a pencil with some blue tack / chewing gum / double sided sticky tape on the end and remove offending article.

Et voila!!!

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The good news is the whole problem goes away as you gain control. I haven't lost a pick in a guitar in at least 15 years - but about once I month I show a student how to get one out during a lesson :)
I haven't for a while either, but I still have to retrieve them quite often... my girls (2 and nearly 4) think it's great fun to watch me trying to get it out, apparently. It's not made any easier by my acoustic either, it has the funky ovation-stye sound holes :roll:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, you have passed the initiation test!
lol j/k, everyone who plays acoustic with a pick eventually encounters this embarrassing situation. just be thankful it wasn't caught on camera.
only quick solution is to have plenty of picks and retrieve it later. :wink:
George Harrison fans may remember George's son Dhani getting caught on film shaking his guitar overhead, in the background during a taping of one of the interviews in the "extra features" portion of the "Concert for George" dvd.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

turn it upside down and shake it gently up and down (not side to side) so you can feel and hear it, then just bounce it out the soundhole.

or smash it like you're cobain and sift through the wreckage.

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Manoeuvre the pick into a position below the soundhole then get a pencil with some blue tack / chewing gum / double sided sticky tape on the end and remove offending article.

Et voila!!!

8)

This is the method I use...just stick some tape on the end of a pencil.....works great.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

welcome to guitar. losing a pick inside is a sure sign of membership.

once when I was changing strings (all off at one time) I answered the phone, leaving the guitar on it's side.
my inquisitive pet bird hopped in. she liked it in there; she wouldnt come out.
I couldnt use the upside down shake method, so I left her alone and began making cooking sounds in the kitchen.
she loved to mooch food and climbed right out.

guitar can be fun too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I go for the shake and then the twist to finish!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

30 minutes of shaking the guitar above my head, turning it this way and that.....
That's about what it takes.

When my daughter was little, she loved to stick things into my subwoofer! There is a big hole near the top so the air can move in and out. The problem is that there is a plastic sleeve that goes into the box, so you had to shake it around and pop whatever was in there over the lip inside. It weighs like 30 lbs so you can imagine what a hassle it was to hold it over my head for a half hour and try to shake Barbie's shoes out of it!!!

or smash it like you're cobain and sift through the wreckage.

That's funny! For a 5 cent pick!

My wife laughs at me when I drop a pick in my guitar. She says, "why can't you just leave it in there?" "I JUST CAN'T!!! NOW STOP WATCHING ME!!!".

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2