Clear all

Is this a good deal?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@bobthecowboy)
Topic starter  

Hey all!

My first question here. I'm looking into learning how to play the guitar, and checking out prices. I found a local guitar shop in my area thats selling a Fender acoustic 'starter pack'.

I think its this one. http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0950801

At least, it looked like that one in the store, and its a Fender acoustic. It comes with strings, picks, a soft case, a tuner, some instuctional DVD, and, of course, the guitar. They're selling it for $250. I've yet to look around, but this seemed like a pretty good deal to me, and its a brand I recognize. I plan on going to Guitar Center tomorrow, just to look around (I'd prefer to buy it from a local dealer, though).

So what do you guys think, is this a good deal? Is that a good guitar? Most guitars there were also over $200 (only one or two under).

Thanks for any advice,
Bill

(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Well I definitly suggest gong to the store and testing out the acoustic. But after that, if you decide you like the guitar buy it from Musicians friend. Actually Musicians friend is owned by guitar center and usually has very good priced. Like the DG-8 Value pack you posted that youy wanted for $250... is selling for $199.99 on Musiciansfriend.com

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/34648

Bstguitarist
welcome to the boards and good luck!

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

You'll get mixed reviews on any guitar, so what matters is what you think. I can suggest that you play and hear it first. If you don't play yet take a friend you can trust who does and get their opinion, not only on the sound, but the quality, action and playability of the insturment. Even if you don't play try it on first to make sure you're comfortable with it.

It's your money, so haggle if you can. I would suggest you get the best guitar you can for the money you have. Make sure you like what it looks like. If you don't like the look you'll be less motivated to pick it up.

Try guitars from other makers. Don't necessarily jump at the first known name that catches your eye. There are literaly hundreds of manufactures out there. Some of the more common manes you see around that offer decent guitars include Seagull, Ibanez, Washburn, Takamine, Alvarez ( I always put that one in cause I play one), Epiphone, Garrison, Yamaha, and so on. All of the above offer some good moderately priced product.

Good luck with the shopping.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@sinister_hack)
Eminent Member

I have a Fender DG-10 (left handed) that I got as my first guitar a couple months ago. Its was $180 at GC.

In retrospect I should have looked around more. First off, I think any new acoustic you buy for around $200 will probably need some degree of setup to lower the action and make it a little easier for a beginner to play. Guitar Center doesn't really do this (they do usuallly have a tech who visits the shop once a week but if you need anything done by him be prepared to lose your guitar for a few days to a week while he works on it) and I'm not so sure they'd do it for free.

A lot of smaller, local shops will offer to setup the guitars they sell for free. That's between $30-50 in savings right there. Check out other places beside Guitar Center. If possible, bring someone with you who can play. That way they can play what you're interested in and tell you how it feels. That, of course, assumes that you can't play at all yet.

My only real gripe about the DG-10 is with the action. Its a bit high still even after being set up by a good shop. I have played a few $300 guitars that I found much easier to play. The sound is okay but again, the guitars costing $100 I like better.

Don't rule out used acoustics either.

ReplyQuote
(@bobthecowboy)
Topic starter  

unfortunately, none of my guitar playing friends are in town (school just started)... The 'action' is how easily I can push the strings down with my fingers right? How would something like that even be adjusted, short of loosening the strings... or grinding little divots at the base of the head I suppose?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Action is the distance of the strings from the frets (measured at about the 14th fret or so). It does affect how easy they are to press down, of course, but that's not quite what it is. It's adjusted by raising and lowering the saddle, which is what the strings go over (it's a white thing) at the body end of the guitar. On an acoustic, you have to take off the saddle and file the bottom to lower it, or put something thin under it to raise it.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

bob, generally fender products are good. The acoustic you're describing probably isnt very good, but its a great deal, and should do fine for a beginner.

Some will suggest that you go to different places and try guitars and pick ones that you like the most, forgetting that as a beginner, it all feels awkward and wierd.

I'd probably go with it.

What kind of music do you want to play and whats your buget?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Make sure what ever you buy it has a solid wood top. My first guitar was a fender DG10LH, it had a laminated top. I thought it was fine until I actually learned to play. I had to have the action lowered first thing ($50). I would advise that you buy the most guitar you can afford (solid wood top is a minimum). There are some nice guitars out there with laminated mahogany back & sides with solid spruce tops for under $300. I'd look at one of them. If you can afford it, Seagull makes a real nice all solid wood guitar for about $450. If you buy a cheap guitar, in six month you'll probably either be buying a new one or not playing imho.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member

Yeah it's a really good guitar. I paid $149 for an ibanez acoustic, with a vinal gig bag, picks, tuner, and strap. So I paid $100 dollars less than yours only cuz mines is an ibanez I guess. But your deal is good too, make sure u try it first.

ReplyQuote