Clear all

It's just a sickness, can anyone help?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been self teaching for about 2 months now. When I'm playing, I think I should play better, but when I consider that I knew zero at the beginning of January, and can now pull a tab sheet and make a few sounds similar to the song on the sheet, I figure I'm doing ok. Since I restrung my Yamaha F325 with Martin extra lite strings, it doesn't sound as full. Which I know is to be expected. I am going to go to a good set of mediums. I have been to a few guitar part web sites for a new saddle made of Tusq or Bone? instead of the plastic. They are only around $5.00, and I enjoy tinkering. I figure that it could help the guitar sound a little better, and I may be able to lower the action a little while I'm at it, and if I screw it up, I can just put the plastic one back on and only be out $5.00. I did get a new Seagull S6+GT last week that I'm really enjoying, but if one nice sounding guitar is good, 2 are better! (Not that I believe I will be able to get the Yamaha to sound as nice as the Seagull) OK - any thoughts, suggestions, tips, tricks, taunts, jokes, or other input would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe my father has been right all these years? "Why can't you leave well enough alone?"

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I say go ahead and tinker. who knows, you may be the next great luthier.

some old beater guitars have a quality all their own. tone was beaten into it, so to say.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

any thoughts, suggestions, tips, tricks, taunts, jokes, or other input would be greatly appreciated.

Thoughts - Never eat yellow snow
Suggestions - Brush your teeth daily
Tips - 15% is usually good enough
Tricks - Thats ALWAYS illegal here in Oklahoma
Taunts - Yo momma
Joke - "And the monkey said...."
Other input - Ummm cant think of any

ya.. Especially since you have an extra you might as well tinker. I heard someone say that the bone saddles having a better sustain... But I know nothing about it.. just repeating something I read.

I'm too much a scaredy cat to try anything like that.

Hopefully NILS will pop on and have some suggestions.. or you might PM him. I know hes really good technically.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Jump in there man, its not rocket science.

You have a good plan - hangining on to the old saddle means at worst your out the price of the saddle and a set of strings. At best you have a much more comfortable guitar.

Do check out Nils site to get all of the correct measurements and the procedure. In case its not mentioned, ensure you loosen all of the strings before truss rod adjustment.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sounds like you have a handle on things, go for it

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Loved Geoo's post.

70chevelle- Go for it dude! I like your attitude. It's fun to tinker with guitars and you learn a lot.

Joke- "Don't worry, that's not my finger." :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i say tinker away, i"ll pay 5 bucks for good sound lol

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote