Skip to content
It's taking HOW LON...

Notifications
Clear all

It's taking HOW LONG to learn the guitar....

24 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys and Gals

If you're like me, you've asked the same question and not really got a definitive answer - that's because there isn't one! Learning to play the guitar (without a tutor) will take as long as it takes for each individual.

Now, i think of myself as a 'normal' sort of person with good mobility in both hands and fingers (I'm actually left-handed but a friend of mine said I'd probably be better learning to play right-handed). I've got a reasonable ear for music and can feel a rhythm.

I decided I'd like to write songs, so needed an instrument to accompany them so I thought the guitar would be nice and easy to learn....Hmmmmm

If you want a laugh, but also see how a 'normal' person gets on learning to play guitar over a 12 month period, have a look at my YouTube vids - they're very informal and they may help you realise that you are not doing too bad yourself, because I am really finding it difficult to gauge progress without having a tutor.

Have a look at my latest offering and then at the previous offerings - I have been 'playing' now for seven weeks and probably practicing about an hour and a half a day...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=101lu9z56fA

Enjoy. Cheers.

Dylan

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I thought the guitar would be nice and easy to learn....Hmmmmm
Now THAT's a hoot! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

I thought the guitar would be nice and easy to learn....Hmmmmm
Now THAT's a hoot! :lol:
Just write one-chord songs in E-minor, and you're set. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeh, I'm sorry - a poor misguided fool - biggest HOOT in the forest. I should have really known better. :oops:

Buy hey, I'm up for the challenge... and it's great fun.... :?

Hmmmm - E minor - now, let me have a look at my chord chart....could be onto a winner here - tell me, which fingers do I use for that!!! :lol:

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

:D
That was great, man, thanks!
With an attitude like that, you're going a long way. 8)
For seven weeks in, I think you sound pretty good.
I know both those 'name that tune' tracks, I know I do...
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

I've watched all your videos now and I have to say this.

Dylan, I'm your biggest fan :mrgreen: Can't wait for the 365th day recording !

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmm - E minor - now, let me have a look at my chord chart....could be onto a winner here - tell me, which fingers do I use for that!!! :lol:
Try Emin7. One finger on the fifth string, second fret. (In standard tuning.) :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Dylan,

Excellent video. I remember that stage in my own playing like it was only yesterday. If you heard me play you'd think it was only yesterday...

One memory that it particularly brought back was the business of looking fixedly at what my left (fretting) hand was doing while I played. Take your eyes off those darned fingers for a second, and who knows where they'd end up. :? But one day I was noodling away on the guitar, daydreaming and looking out the window and I realised that I wasn't looking at my hands any more. In fact I wasn't even really thinking about what chords I was playing - just making it up as I went along (running along familiar lines really...) and playing. It's a good moment to get to. Despite what you probably think, there are already dozens of small actions that you can already do without looking, and it all just builds and builds...

That video will be a wonderful thing to look back on in 6 months time. With your attitude, and more time, you'll do really well - not least because you'll enjoy the whole journey and not get too uptight when things don't work instantly. Keep on pluckin' 8)

EDIT: OK. I just looked at the other videos, so I can see what you're doing with the project now. Now I'll have to keep watching the updates... :wink: What happened with the left handed/right handed guitar thing you mentioned in the first video???

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for this post and your videos. I'm a beginner too and was having one of those days when nothing seems to go right with the practising so I took the easy way out: turned off the amp and headed for GuitarNoise to spend some time.

Well, I've now watched all your videos and I'm going to turn this computer off and head back to my practice area.

Thanks once again.

Ron ...

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

your doing GREATthere dylan....miles ahead of me at only 7 weeks!!!!!

you have a good,brave heart to 'go public'....that attitude will make you a fine musician 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Are you sure it is only 7 weeks? :wink:

Congrats Dylan!
Keep practicing!

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Thanks dylan,
this made me laugh so much - no disrespect I think you're doing great! - but it sure gave me insight into what my poor hubby has to put up with night after night - no wonder he turns the tv up so loud! Is there anything so painful as listening to someone practising... I never realised what a martyr he was :lol: Keep up the good work, you're learning lots in a short space of time, I'm pretty jealous actually.. looking forward to the next instalment.. i think :?

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all - thanks for the great response to my videos.

I did think twice about posting them on this forum because I thought people might think it a bit self-promoting (maybe some of you do?) but I decided to post them for a couple of reasons... the first is to encourage beginners like myself to keep plugging (or picking or strumming) away. If you can actually see how someone sounds when they're learning, then I personally think it helps. Eventually it will hopefully all fall into place - give it time and keep practicing.

The second reason was to lighten up the beginners forum and get people to have a laugh. If it's at my expense then great because I need a good laugh every now and then... learning to play an instrument should be fun but it's soooo frustrating at the same time. I've actually squeezed the strings together so hard in frustration the poor instrument went out of tune :evil:

Nuno - it's encouraging that you think I may have been playing for longer than seven weeks, but honestly, no - not much point in making it up is there....

Chris - the left/right-handed thing was basically deciding which way I should learn to play. I got on the phone to my friend Chris (an accomplished guitar player - who, unfortunately lives a plane journey away in France) and he reckoned that even though I'm left-handed, I should learn right-handed because most of the lessons, etc are in right-handed, and it could work to my advantage anyway - so that's what I did...didn't have to change the strings over either - have a look on the forum for the problems people seem to have with strings - didn't want to touch them!

Speak to you all soon,
Cheers
Dylan

ReplyQuote
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

This should probably go in "Hear Here" but...

I finally got around to watching Dylan's videos (and I did a "subscribe to channel" so as not to miss the rest) and I saw his Dust in the Wind intro and though "hey I could do that". :P

So, directly inspired by Dylan's video, here's what I've got so far:

listen

It gets progressively worse as it goes, mainly because (excuses, excuses!) my fingers were starting to really hurt after 2 hours of playing (I'd say about an hour was spent on this song). As usual, it sounded a lot better until I tried recording it. ;)

I did also use this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ojvh3gCp8 for getting the timing, and a tab for learning the notes.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Well done, PJ!
I like the split screen.
If or when I get my videocam, I'll have to ask about that capability.
Wait, wouldn't split screen take two cameras?
How did you do that?

Anyway, now I've got another song to try out since everyone seems to have given it a shot.

All we are is dust in the wind.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2