Clear all

Should I get an electro-acoustic?

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I recently discovered this great site. This is my first post – Hiya all.
I am in the classic category of forty-something, been-meaning-to-learn-the-guitar-since-I-gave-up-at-20 - category. Now I am back taking it seriously. 8)
I have an equipment question: My first ever guitar was a Spanish (no name), nylon stringed guitar. I learned the basics on that. I purchased a cheap-ish (Washburn D10S) steel string acoustic a few months ago & will soon feel confident enough to tackle the ‘easy songs for intermediates' section. (Calluses r coming along nicely thanks). BTW I think David Hodge is a great teacher.
I enjoy a variety of styles and will no doubt need to have more than one guitar. I am emotionally attached to acoustics but being a bit of a gadget-man I can't resist the lure of electric. Plus I do occasionally want to venture into the no doubt fun-filled terrain of audio effects, playing about with my playing on the computer, etc etc.
So, my question: I think to satisfy my style preferences I will need to own a nylon-string & a steel-string acoustic and an electric guitar. Would it make sense to combine the latter two and buy a steel string electro-acoustic, so I only need to have two guitars? (Budget reasons!)
If so – any recommendations on what I should get in the region of 250 quid ($500)? or perhaps you could direct me to a source of unbiased info re acoustic vs electro-acoustic vs electric.
Thanks

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A steel string electro-acoustic is not a substitute for an electric guitar at all. It's an acoustic guitar with a pickup to easily amplify it.

Perhaps you're thinking about a semihollowbody electric? They're not acoustic guitars at all. They're electrics that happen to play a little louder unplugged than a solid body.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You can get some inexpensive clip-mics to attach inside your soundhole which will give you a reasonable sound through an amp, leaving your budget free to go buy an electric (and an amp)

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ta for the swift responses.

So, If I read you right, there are options to make my acoustic sound louder or feed into a PC if I want that, but if I am interested in electric then I should go for a proper electric guitar plus amp and not expect an electro-acoustic to do the job.

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Right.

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. Time to fish out the piggy bank :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Won't be the last time. :D

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It's the truth.... :D

The soundhole pickup that Alan mentioned will work just fine... for now.

But eventually your eyes will stray to a particularly pretty acoustic/electric.... And perhaps a hollowbody electric for some of the jazz and blues styles... maybe a 12 string... and a bass of course.... perhaps a resonator... and at least a couple of different styles of electric guitar and amp. Gadget guy? Well, there's an endless list of pedals and effects, and..... oh, have you got a recorder or drum machine yet?? :wink:

Sorry, but you're on the train now and it's a 'no stopping' express. Just relax, and keeping feeding that piggy bank. It's got a busy life ahead of it. :D

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

If you are looking for a steel string acoustic, I'd go to the best acoustic I could afford. The "electro" part in an electro-acoustic is around 100€. You can get a very good solid top acoustic guitar in the 300€ range and to add the Alan's mic when you needed to record or when you want to play with effects. For recording, I use a normal (condenser) mic.

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, but you're on the train now and it's a 'no stopping' express. Just relax, and keeping feeding that piggy bank. It's got a busy life ahead of it. :D

Cheers,

Chris

Ohmigod :!: - how do I break this to my wife? I told her it was a cheap hobby that I can pursue from home, not too noisy if close the study door & once i got a decent guitar that would be it as far as expenses go. :?

Now, you mentioned a resonator, and also hollowbody electric . . . :D

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

The guy doesn't even have 5 posts yet and you already turned him into a guitar junkie!!!! You guys should be ashamed of yourselves!!!! :P

BUT, if you are looking, make sure you test everything out (kick the tires so to speak). If you don't feel comfortable testing an axe, bring someone with you or ask a salesmen. They usually don't have a problem ripping out a lick or two for you.

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Tell your wife it's a lot cheaper than bass fishing. Send off for boat and tackle catalogs and scatter them around the house if you have to. Harley-Davidson brochures could be useful as well.

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

. . . Send off for boat and tackle catalogs and scatter them around the house if you have to. Harley-Davidson brochures could be useful as well.
:lol: he he.
Good idea. There's more to playing the guitar than meets the eye!

ReplyQuote
(@jmh1819)
Eminent Member

If you get an electo-actoustic you won't get the tone of an electric guitar. An electro-acoustic will just sound like an amplified acoustic guitar. I think electro-acoustics are mainly for people who are going to perform on stage b/c a standard acoustic won't be loud enough to compete with drums, electric guitars, etc. I think there's more effect options if you get an electric.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Actually they're a substitute for miking an acoustic on stage. Lets you move around freely.

ReplyQuote