Clear all

Jamming?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My brother and a few of his friends have invited me along for a jam session for their band. I suppose Im nervous, because the guitarists in the group are Yngwei deciples, and I really havent played the neo-classical style in the longest time (Ive been studying the blues for the past 2 years), and Im doubting myself to play with the speed necessary for the style. Ive told him (my brother) this, but he says that I play fine, and could keep up with them all, but again, Im really not believing him. I saw them playing a while back, and the lead guitarist was just shredding Arpeggio's From Hell. Is there any way I could re-learn a playing style that I havent used for 2 years?

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

when I jam, I wanna be the person who's NOT doing what everyone else is or can do. hopefully, I can make a unique and memorable contribution that makes the jam better.

so everyone is ripping it up and playing fast? counterpoint that with cool intervals, comping, slower versions of the melody (if you find one), a good rhythmic element (not rhythm guitar, rhythmic playing). show 'em a great phrase and superlative phrasing should be comprised of more than 64th notes. and for some deity's sake, do it with confidence!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Agreed.

Jamming is about cooperation - making the music better by having each player contribute according to his or her strengths. This sounds more like a competition. Some might find that fun, but it's certainly not about the music. Play according to who you are, not who you were or who everyone else is.

And try to have fun!

Peace

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm not the experienced guitar players that Greg and David are, but from a listeners veiwpoint . . .
one person shredding is tolerable . . . for short periods of time . . .
(if their shredding is relevant to the music being played . . . and not an ego trip)
but two or more shredders in a band and I'm tuning out and walking away very quickly . . .
that is guitar noise . . . in the bad sense of the term.

So my point is, don't feel you have to contribute to the shredding . . . in fact, please don't.
Offer something else to the mix . . . your own thing . . . your own groove.
Chances are, it will be an added improvement to what they offer . . .
something to give a listener an alternative to listen to . . . instead of a frantic and frenzied assault on guitar strings.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank yall very much, this was seriously a confidence boost. I know I can at least improvise something at a slower, more bluesy/soulfull feel to go along with the thousands of 64th notes. Ill deffinately post how it went, either Sunday or Monday.
-Preacher

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I'm with ken, play your blues style or even just some nice chunky rhythm power chords would sound good while he's playing his crazy arpeggios. The last thing you want is more than one person trying to be Yngwie at the same time...

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, it went fairly well. (the jam session that is) I couldnt get strings in time for my strat, so I ended up bringing the old acoustic. (Thinking I could just lay back and play some delta slide playing that would compliment the Yngwie deciple's) But aha, they had an extra electric. An old Mexi-Strat, that was set up amazingly.... Though not my taste (the action was so low, you could barely fit a dime under the 12th fret, and the strap was down around my knees) Not that Im complaining, the strap was easily remedeed, and the action, (though offputting) I got used to in the couple hours we were playing. I mostly hung back, playing some Chicago blues, ala Muddy or BB King. The strange bit, that kind of slowed the shredders down a bit. (mind you, there were three guitarist just tearing up the strings) And frankly, I was amazed at the playing of these guys. But once they kind of slowed, I found I could keep up quite easily (probably could have held my own shredding along). They even backed me playing slide on a couple of songs. Which totally blew me away. But yes, thank yall for the advice. (I found that playing slow and melodic with confidence, whilst the others were tearing it up, was the most difficult though)
-Preacher

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The Delta stuff works well on electrics, too. (That's pretty much early Muddy.)

Glad you did your thing and it worked well. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Excellent! That's a session I'd like to have heard.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

It's the steady hand that tends the tiller . . . and guides the ship . . . while some climb the ropes . . .
but (as DH said earlier) . . . it takes all hands to run the ship.

And of course every now and then you can toss one overboard . . . or keelhull one . . .

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote