Notifications
Clear all

jamming

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@warriorl111)
Topic starter  

i'v read lessons on it but it still is a little confusing. maybe it would help if one of you guys helped out.

when jamming do you just pick a key say f and just just play anything in the f scale.

and what about the chords backing it.

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Thats a good question warrior, wehn jammin with my friends we really have no rules, you can find the chords in any key easily on the internet. Start with a simple progression and start working with the major scale, this will give you a good starting point for jammin. Improvise on the scale and u can add a few 'accidental' notes in there to mix it up a bit. Music is creativity, try to remember that....

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

This is one of Chuck Garvey's (moe.) ten commandments to jamming...

"Though they sometimes sound awful, mistakes can be a sign you're searching for something new and different (They can also mean you suck, but lets stay positive here). Besides, if you duff once, simply repeat the error and it becometh 'jazz.'"

Just mess around, eventually you'll find something that sounds good.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

"Besides, if you duff once, simply repeat the error and it becometh 'jazz.'"

Ahaha. I'm sooooo guilty of that when playing on my own.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Depends on the type of music your jamming to. When I get together with friends to jam we have a set of rules we go by. We only jam to songs, mostly Oldtime Mountain songs. Everyone gets to pick a song if they choose. The key & chord progression is called out before each song. Everyone that chooses to can solo between verses and everyone that knows the lyrics can sing.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@warriorl111)
Topic starter  

any lessons on the site you guys would recomend me read to get an idea of what chords back up a scale and how to find that out

ReplyQuote
(@mr_bungalow)
Trusted Member

nice moe. reference! I love Chuck. Where did you get that article? Can you link me?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The true basis for a great jam is a talented rhythm section -- bass and drums/percussion. If you can get that, jamming on guitar is so easy that almost anything works -- it just flows right out of the mind and fingers.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Jamming good for your playing and lots of fun. There are different ways of looking or thinking on the subject. It could be playing along with a backing track,something you recorded, maybe with your favorite bands cd, or better yet with other musicians. If your playing with a friend maybe they have a chord progression they want to work on because they have a few lyrics or it just sounds cool. The good thing about it is you will invariably pick up new ideas, riffs, chords, and techniques that will improve your playing significantly and it's fun.

Try listening and jamming along with all styles of music. The more different influences you add to your playing the more vestal and unique you'll will be. Allowing you to play with musicians from all walks of life. You'll be surprised at what you can learn from other guitarist who play a particular style of music from what you normally play. The more you play with others, the better guitar player you'll will become.

Get into the recording your playing regularly, especially when you go play with others. This is something I've been doing for years and has many advantages that will help improve more than just your playing. Something thats real fun to do is record a chord progression or a rhythm riff, then go back and play along to it. It's still jamming in my book.

Hope this helped.

Joe

ReplyQuote