just a thought...

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@plutarch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I ran across this, thought I 'd pass it along:

In a New Yorker (January 28, 2002) article titled “The Learning Curve — How Do You Become a Good Surgeon? Practice,” Atul Gawande related the importance of practice. In writing about elite performers, he said, “[T]he most important talent may be the talent for practice itself.” He referred to K. Anders Ericsson, a psychologist, who noted that “the most important role that innate factors play may be in a person's willingness to engage in sustained training.”

Interesting?

(@bobthecowboy)

kinda creepy.. what does a surgeon practice on?

:shock:

ReplyQuote
(@progg)

babies

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That's truly scary - that a guitarist would read something like that! :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

kinda creepy.. what does a surgeon practice on?

:shock:

After all, why do you think doctors call thier work "practice"?

It is kind of scary to think about.

And lawyers call what they do "Practice" as well.

Boy if we engineers did that the world would be in a whale of trouble! You'd have bridges collapsing and oil refineries blowing up all over the place!

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Is 'practice' exactly the same as 'training?'

ReplyQuote
(@vempyre)
Trusted Member

in english english, practice and practise have slightly different meanings..

a practice is merely the exercise of a profession: say, for instance, a surgeon's practice, or a dental practice. to practise something on the other hand (note the s...) is what frustrates most of us here on this forum daily.. to learn through repetition / rehearse.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Oh, I thought 'practise' was just people who couldn't spell.

UKer's, do you spell it pencil or pensil. I saw pensil and assumed it was a misspelling, but now....

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

in english english, practice and practise have slightly different meanings..

a practice is merely the exercise of a profession: say, for instance, a surgeon's practice, or a dental practice. to practise something on the other hand (note the s...) is what frustrates most of us here on this forum daily.. to learn through repetition / rehearse.

I didn't know that - thanks.

In the article mentioned, I believe it was American English, which, I assume, means the person being interviewed meant practise. In which case, I still have a slight problem with him using both practise and training to mean the same thing. They very well might, but to me, practice (I'm American), means to do something you already know, over and over again in order to get good at it. 'Training' on the other hand, to me, means to take something that is unknown and make it known - more like adding onto a skill or developing to the next level. It seems to imply (again, to me), learning, or being taught or teaching one's self, exploring as it were - whereas 'practice' means to repeat something already known. Learing the times table would be 'training' or learning; repeating them over and over again until they are second nature would be 'practice' or practise.

Again, this is only my own opinion, and seemingly a small matter, but it's in the implications that those two words have that bring out some of the funnier - but still ponderable - comments on this thread :)

The original basic idea of the original post seems to be that some people seem to have an aptitude toward practise - in general - and this leads to betterment of ability no matter what avenue of expression it is. I think this is true to a certain extent. It's very true of walks of life where physical activity and muscular growth and coordination is at a premium and so it does relate to musicians in a way. But I think the implied meaning of 'training' would work here just as well if not better. We not only exercise our fingers and arms, but also - ideally - try to develope understanding of music and issues related to it.

I think a better term, if I may, would be 'development,' especially since to some, the two terms - practise and training - imply different things.

Man that was long winded and boring, lol! :)

ReplyQuote
(@plutarch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

In english, practice and training would each, of course, have several different meanings. The most relevant, from Webster:

practice - a: to perform or work at repeatedly so as to become proficient; b: to do repeated exercises for proficiency

training - act, process, or method of one who trains

train - a: to form by instruction, discipline, or drill; b: to undergo instruction, discipline, or drill

My understanding of the quotes was simply that so called "natural born talent" to excell at a given craft (i.e. guitar) is fundamentally a function of one's ability to relentlessly endure an arduous regimin of preparation.

I somehow found that encouraging.

P.S. Surgeons practice on medicare, medicaid, and wellfare patients and those who don't have insurance. Furthermore, if your lucky enough to have good insurance that pays for an experienced surgeon, once your unconscious it's just as likely that he or she is on the phone discussing golf while the resident or intern is busy practicing.

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

Undercat,

We spell it 'pencil'

:)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

...I somehow found that encouraging....

Yes it is :)

In fact, in my own musical life, I felt - well, more like 'knew' because it was more than just a 'feeling' - that I wasn't naturally talented at it. In other words, I didn't start early (I started at 16), as told in some stories of prodigies, and once I was going along, I didn't feel that I was advancing in any particularly quick or easy manner - as I'd heard regarding these remarkable young people. It was a plodding along, day by day; in other words it didn't come easy and I didn't consider myself remarkable in any way whatsoever.

So I delved into it harder one might say, perhaps to the point where others might think it obsessive; maybe compulsive would be a better term.

But I felt the need to 'catch up' even knowing I never would, and finally, toward the end of the race, things are okay. It's gotten past the proving grounds and has become fun again.

So in fact, I tend to agree with the comments of this man, and they should be taken as an encouraging thought to others. :)

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

UKer's, do you spell it pencil or pensil. I saw pensil and assumed it was a misspelling, but now....

lol.

Its pencil, btw.

Speaking of surgeons practi(s/c)ing, my dad went to the hospital yesterday, and in fixing his hernia, the consultant found out that the surgeon had stapled his hernia to his intestine. (Sorry for the offtopicness, but it seems surgeons do play around.)

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I thought it was plimsoul

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

lol.

Its pencil, btw.

Speaking of surgeons practi(s/c)ing, my dad went to the hospital yesterday, and in fixing his hernia, the consultant found out that the surgeon had stapled his hernia to his intestine. (Sorry for the offtopicness, but it seems surgeons do play around.)

Man, they should make drawings or something! :wink:

ReplyQuote