Clear all

I need some help with my songs

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarpunk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

A while back i started writing lyrics to what could develope into songs, but the thing is i play guitar but not too well, so i guess what i need help with is, how do i begin putting guitar riffs with my lyrics( most musicians ive talked to say i should have writen the lyrics to the riffs) but im not so good at guitar right yet......so can anyone help me and give me some suggestions??

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I disagree with the musicians you've talked to. I think it's easier to write a song to lyrics, or to combine lyrics and riffs I've thought of already to make a song. Especially for a lyric-driven song. I'd start my making up a tune to the lyrics, partly based on the natural rises and falls of my speaking voice. Then I'd set it to chords, and monkey with my melody when it didn't fit. I'd fill in the cracks after that.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Working your way into this, I would recommend playing and singing other people's songs, it really helps to hear how other lyrics go on top of guitar parts. Gave my songwriting a huge boost anyhow.

Some folks write the riff first, some people write the lyrics first, some people compose a melody first. Successful artists have come from all 3 schools of thought. Try it several times all 3 ways and see how you like your results.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote