Notifications
Clear all

Key of the song?

24 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-r)
Topic starter  

I was in a battle of the bands last night, and all of the judges wrote that my guitar work was excellent, but I wasn't always in key with the song...I have two questions..because I've never known this.

!) how do you know the key of the song your playing

2) when your soloing what do you play to stay with the key of the song

I hope someone can clear this up for me..

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

hey GregR, welcome to guitarnoise! 95% of rock tunes are in the key of the first chord played. For example, Smells Like Teen Spirit's ( :roll: ) first chord is an F power chord (E=1,A=3,D=3) so it's in the key of F. You use scales to play solo's. For instance, the Black Dog by Led Zeppelin riff is mainly compromised of the A blues scale, so you solo over it with the A Blues Scale. Here's a tab of the A blues scale: http://www.worldguitar.com/bluestab.html . Play Black do on your sound system and jam along with the scale. You can do the same thing exept start it on the 3rd fret and it'd be in G. Like, go from 3 to 6 on the E string then 3, 4, 5 on the A string, etc. according to the scale formation. Hope I cleared some stuff up for you. BTW congrats on Battle of the Bands!

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@greg-r)
Topic starter  

thanks alot, and thank you for using black dog as an example

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

no prob dude, if you're confused about anything else, just ask..

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hey yoyo that's a great example.

Here's a followup question: you said the Black Dog riff is "mainly comprised" of the A blues scale ... so where do the other notes come from? I mean, I know that we're not constrained to simply playing scales for every riff and solo, but is there a formula or something for knowing when to add an off-scale note?

Also, I've always wondered about that third note in the Black Dog riff, 6th fret D string - is it G# or Ab, and how do I know when it's not a note from the scale? :

|------|----------------|-------------------|-------------------|---------|
|------|---------------5|-------------------|-------------------|---------|
|------|-----5-------7--|-5h7p5-----5-------|-------------------|---------|
|---5-6|-7-------7------|-------7-7-----7---|-5-7-7---------2---|2--------|
|-7----|---7------------|-------------------|-------5-7---5-0---|0--------|
|------|----------------|-------------------|-----------8-------|---------|

Thanks in advance,

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Eh, sory dude, I'm learning that right nw with my guitar techer. Maybe someone else could help... :(

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Eh, sory dude, I'm learning that right nw with my guitar techer.
LOL, thanks anyway. Be sure to ask your teacher if no one else responds. :)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The rule for naming notes is that you avoid (whenever possible) having two notes with the same letter name.

So if you're playing in A, and you need the note a half step below that, you'd call it G# instead of Ab - since you're in A, you'll need A notes more often than G notes.

If you were to write out the notes in standard notation, that would mean fewer accidentals... that's the main reason for the way notes get named.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Thanks for explaining the naming convention, NoteBoat.

"Accidentals," eh? So that's what that is... I've heard the term but never knew what it meant before.

So much to learn.

I've got your book in my Amazon wishlist! :D

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

His book is well worth the $$. I am on my secnd read of the book now. Highly recomend the book. JMO on this.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

yoyo, im learning the 5 blues scales in E- right now, my question is this, are the scales the same, just in a different key or are they completly different?

ReplyQuote
(@mrjazzclassicalmetalshred)
Trusted Member

Thanks for explaining the naming convention, NoteBoat.

"Accidentals," eh? So that's what that is... I've heard the term but never knew what it meant before.

So much to learn.

I've got your book in my Amazon wishlist! :D

Acidentals are notes that are not in key. Like in C Major, with no flats or sharps, but the song had a D flat at one point during the song. That would be an accidental.

Album progress:15%

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

To the original question.

Tons of rock music uses the I IV V progression. there are a few songs out there that wont start on the key note, which may cause you some confusion. An example is Two tickets to paradise. The main progression is G to A. Usually, and I say usually, the only place to find two major chords a full step apart would be the IV & V of a scale. In this particular case, it is as the song is in D, which makes an entrance during the chorus.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

hey GregR, welcome to guitarnoise! 95% of rock tunes are in the key of the first chord played.

I seem to recall in a earlier post on key that NoteBoat said something like. I went through all my music books and found that the key of songs most often relates to the chord that the song ended on. The first chord is the key in about 50%. I could be wrong about this. I also am not sure what type of music is in his books. I'm assuming they are a wide variety of music. I use to go by the first chord idea, now I'm not so sure. ??????

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You're right, I remember doing that... looking at songs from books and seeing where they started/ended by genre. As I recall, except for alternative, every genre pretty much ended on the I chord, but only about 70-90% start there.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2