0 Likes
(@mrjazzclassicalmetalshred)
Trusted Member

Noteboat, where can I get your book?

Album progress:15%

ReplyQuote
(@snakebyte90)
Eminent Member

to the question about the other note in the zeppelin riff, I think that note is part of the major scale, thus is would fit there, also it just sounds good, sometimes theory can't explain everything.

I got a heil you don't! nuyah nuyah!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Acidentals are notes that are not in key. Like in C Major, with no flats or sharps, but the song had a D flat at one point during the song. That would be an accidental.

An accidental is a variation to a natural note - A# or Ab are accidentals, as are Ax and Abb. C# and Cb both contain 7 accidentals (which explains the rather weak joke in my sig) - e.g. C#, D#, E#, F#, G#, A#, B#, C#. As you can see, enharmonic names are used to keep the flow of the key within the conventions of theory - E# is the same as F and B# is the same as C (but both F and C are otherwise occupied).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

On his site, http://www.noteboat.com/FRmtfg.html

John M

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Click on Noatboat's name, then click "Find all posts by this user"...

:lol:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

yoyo, im learning the 5 blues scales in E- right now, my question is this, are the scales the same, just in a different key or are they completly different?

This is what my guitar techer taught me; he said that different scales have different finger orders; for example, again the A blues scale, which actually isn't the A blues scale; its the blues scale in the key of A. Like it starts on the 5th fret of E, which is A. If you take it down a whole step, it'd be in G. G is the third fret on the E string; so you do the exect same thing that you did in A, and change it to the third. I hope I helped; if I didn't, ask Noteboat.. :wink:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Because a scale has a particular format (major scale - WWHWWWH, etc) that is the same no matter what key you're in, the shapes that you use for, say Aminor pentatonic are the same for all other keys. So whereas you start the Aminor pentatonic at the 5th fret of the low E (6th string), the Gminor pentatonic starts at the 3rd fret, the B at the 7th fret - the root of the scale is on the low E string, so find the root note and start from there - the shapes are the same

If you go to my website ( http://people.freenet.de/greybeard/ ), I lay out the shapes for Aminor pentatonic and it's blues brother, the Aminor blues.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

thanks greybeard, after i learn these 5 formula"s of the blues scale, what do you think he will teach me next? and are arpeggios for more advanced players?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If he's currently teaching you the minor pentatonics, he'll probably move on to the major pentatonics.
What you are learning is probably based on the natural minor scale, which has the same notes as it's relative major:

Cmajor - C, D, E, G, A, C
The relative minor of a major scale has it's root at the 6th degree (position) of the major scale (so in C the relative minor has it's root at A):

Amin - A, C, D, E, G, A

The relative major of a minor scale has it's root at the 3rd degree of the minor scale.
You'll notice that the notes are the same in both scales, which accounts for the fact that the major pentatonic is built by removing the 4th and 7th degrees from the major scale and the minor pentatonic, by removing the 2nd and 6th degrees.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2