Clear all

pinched harmonic

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm familiar with the regular harmonics, but what exactly is a pinched or artificial harmonic, and how can i play them?

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/38/1

Have a look at this, might help you... They take a long time to get the hang of but once you do it's allot of fun!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

And if you can't hear them, turn up the gain. :twisted:

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Pinch a harmonic, but please don't pinch a loaf. :shock:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

What I usually do is strike the string at a 45 degree angle while fretting a note. It takes awhile to get the hang of it but once you do it gets easier to do it when you want to.

I joke with my wife when she is listening to me play something, I'll stop and say..."now how would Zakk Wylde play that." Then I'll play the same notes only with "pinched harmonics" squealing the whole time.

It makes her laugh...

Hope this helps.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

The first few times I did it, it was entirely accidental, and only a while later did I read an article by Zakk and figure out what I was really doing:

Touch the string with the side of the thumb of your picking hand the instant after you pick the sting. High gain makes it easier and louder, and it's easier on certain places on the guitar. For me, the easiest ones to get are playing about 7-9th fret on the G or B strings, and touching about where the 24th fret would be.

I'm not great with it yet, but apparently once you are, you're supposed to be able to do it anywhere on the guitar, and without too much trouble on an acoustic. For me they are very difficult on the low E and A strings, and virtually silent on the acoustic, but I'm practicing! :D

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote