Notifications
Clear all

Leading Question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@cmarr)
Topic starter  

I've just finished reading the 'Leading Question' article by hodge and cannot figure out the reason for chosing the notes of the lead. The song is in G and he chose as a melody a B, A, F# progession. Why? how does that fit into the song key. What scale is that derived from. In all my studying music that is one thing I have yet to understand and noone will explain it sufficiently. please help me understand. How and why do you play a particular scale or progression over a chord progression in a particular key????

(@painthorses)
Eminent Member

If the song is in the key of G then it uses the G major scale which has the notes G A B C D E F# and the chords G C and D7. Are you familiar with how scales are formed?

ReplyQuote
(@cmarr)
Topic starter  

Yes. I have been studying theory for a while now and know how scales and chords are formed. I just haven't quite figured out this soloing thing. Which scales to use in which keys, etc. Actually, I figured out the G major scale thing as soon as I submitted the question, so I think I'm on the right track. When I wrote it out in the question, I noticed those are notes of the G major scale. Is that the only scale to use when playing in the key of G? Couldn't I also use the relative minor scale which, if I am right is the E min. What about the modes? Thanks

ReplyQuote