Clear all

learning accoustic and electric

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@plutarch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions, advice, regarding learning accoustic and electric at the same time.

I've been taking lessons for about eight months with an accoustic, but I now have an electric too. I'd like to learn both.

Do you think I should wait until I've had more time with the accoustic? Do you think separate lessons would be beneficial? Any other comments, suggestions?

Thanx.

(@jadda918)
Trusted Member

Good Question im only about 2 months in my acoustic lessons but wanna learn to play eletric to should i start now or just focus on learning one at a time?

"Life Is Beautiful,
Life Is A Struggle,
Life Is A Beautiful Struggle" - Mos Def

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I find that playing both helps me a lot. The acoustic makes me concentrate on forming and fingering chords as it is less forgiving than an electric. I find the electric helps with my strumming hand since I worry less about fretting etc.

My only piece(s) of advice are:

1) make sure both are setup the best as possible but the acoustic will always be harder to press the strings (unless you do something weird with the strings)

2) Practice both every time you practice. If you ignore one for any length of time it is more difficult to transition

3) Remember that the electric will need a softer touch than the acoustic and pressing too hard on the electric can make the notes sound funny.

Summary: Good setup makes them both easier to play and practicing both cuts down the transition time going back and forth.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Good Question im only about 2 months in my acoustic lessons but wanna learn to play electric to should i start now or just focus on learning one at a time?
I personally think playing/learning both is good but others will disagree. Learning or for that matter playing both does require some dedication since they are both different and both will need constant care (practice)

It's really a matter of what you want to accomplish and what kind of music you like. My taste in music is so wide that I NEEDED both to play my favorite songs. If for example you are only interested in heavy metal then an acoustic is not for you.

Most music can be played on both. It is just that some sound better on one or the other and there are some things much easier to do on electric like Hammer-ons.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I'm with Nils. I practice everything on both my electric and my acoustic. When I first started, a guitarist I respected told me to play "every guitar you can your hands on." I think it helps me considerably.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

They're both guitars. Play 'em both.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

well said.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I agree I always play both, Acoustic more for chords and rythm, and the electric for scales and lead and the chords that work with them.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

ok, i am learning a lot here already...

now, i have an accoustic and have been playing for about a year... let's say that i am in the process of getting the ball rolling in terms of acquiring an electric... christmas is coming up, end of year bonus, etc.

what do i need (besides the guitar [and are there any recommendations here, make/model])? make/model of amps, and other required accessories

since this will be my first purchase, i would like to keep the cost relatively modest without scarificing quality (if that is possible)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

guitar
hard shell case
amp -- you can get by for quite a while with a practice amp with about 15 watts. I used a Crate 15 watter for a year. Last year I got a 30 watt model with tube amp modeling and effects and connections plug a CD player into it.
But you can always add on and upgrade later.
And, of course, a cable.

That's enough to get you started.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I play both. I started about six months ago with an old acoustic I'd bought in college. teh about two months later I bought an electric. I don't usually play bith in the same practice session. I'll play whatever strikes my fancy at the time; I'd say it ends up being maybe about 50:50, a little more time on the acoustic if anything.

Seems to suit me well.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member

I have been learning for about six months now and enjoy playing both. I do most of my learning work on the acoustic. It is fun to play the electric because barre cords are much easier and less frustrating to play.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Used to play electric, but start drifting more and more towards accoustic. If you like both, learn both. Guitar should be fun, so do what makes you feel good. Starting equipment:

-Guitar, some cheap but good strarting guitars:
--Yamaha Pacifica 112
--Squier Affinity/Standard
--Dean Avalanche

-Amp, depending on budget:
--Behinger GM108 ($60)
--Roland Microcube ($110)
--Zoom Fire15/Line6 Spider15 ($165)
--Vox AD30VT ($230)

-Guitar stand
-Cable
-Tuner
-Extra set of strings
-A few picks
-Headphones if you live close to others
-Gigbag/Hardcase

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

thanks... good stuff

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Nobody's mentioned a strap yet - it's important for electric, even if you only play sitting down. Electric guitars seem to fall into several categories:

Strat types - slippery finish that can slide on your leg
LP types - pretty darn heavy; a strap helps support them
ES types - big body hanging out over the strumming hand side
Flying V types - don't even think about keeping one in position without a strap

I'll play acoustics without straps, but my electrics I never play without a strap in place.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote