Clear all

Where to go from here?

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 thes
(@thes)
Topic starter  

Hi, I am new to playing the guitar only have been at it for a few months. I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction i should go to continue learning. I have all major minor 7ths and major 7ths chords down. I am realitivly smooth with most of them. Unfourtunatly from here I don't know what is the best next step for me to take, be it learning how to strum in a good rhythm scales or whatever else i can't think of. Thanks for any suggestion you may have.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you haven't already, start with David's lessons on the main site. His lessons take you through all aspects of learning from basic chords, picking, finger picking, theory and while doing so you learn songs.

Start from the beginning of his beginners lessons and see where that brings you.

And above all practice and when you are done practicing, practice some more.

Oh yeah, welcome to GuitarNoise your soon to be new home on the internet

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

...it may be a good thing to find some other musicians who play at the same level that you do and start a jam band!..this will give you the experience that you need to develope the chords and scales you learned into ideas that work and sound good out loud!

ReplyQuote
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member

I agree with nils. Start with easy songs for beginners and work your way though. A lot of them might not be songs you want to learn but there is a lesson to learn in each one.

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Wow, thes, I'd say that's pretty good knowing all those chords and being able to play them well after so short a time! I'd say you've got a bright future with the guitar. I echo the suggestions made by others about what to do next.

I strongl suggest learning some songs incorporating the chords you know- kind of start developing a little bit of a repertiore. Then you'll really be making some music.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member

try the following book:

(in case you can't see its called Complete learn to play Lead guitar by peter Gelling) It takes you right from beginners level to being competent enough to play well in a band...If you use this as well as the lessons on this site you will have enough work for the next few months at least.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

After I learned a bunch of chords, I pretty much spent all my practice time just playing them in any random order. I learned what chords sounded good with other chords and I even "accidentally" discovered a few new chords. Then after that, I started experimenting with different ways to play the chords...flatpick, fingerpick, and weird pluck/strum hybrids and bass strums and cool percussive palm mutes played slow, fast and in between, different sounds from different pick angles, different strum patterns, blues rythyms...

My point is, your left hand isnt the only important part. It's great if you can fret the chords, and you know where the notes are and you can paly scales, but what REALLY sets you apart and defines your style as a guitarist is what you do with your right hand, how you take those notes and those chords and make them *your own*.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Wise words indeed from U2Bono, I totally agree.

A lot of people concentrate on learning a million chords...but can't strum to save their lives (or fingerpick....etc!!).

I would rather know 12 chords and have a variety of strums / picking techniques.

Listen to any great rhythm guitarist - they don't play too many complicated chords (Keith Richards? He only plays 5 strings most of the time, and only a handful of chord shapes...please note i said "most of the time).

Its what you DO with them that counts

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote