Clear all

Learning the fretboard

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wow I found these and Im ordering em right away. Might be helpful for those beginners like me struggling with learning the notes.

http://www.findanote.com/index.htm

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My daughter used something like that when learning the keyboard.
The only downside I can see would be that you would have to hold the guitar at an awkward angle to see them. (careful you don't develop bad posture, it can make your playing suffer)

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I used to do that with regular sticky labels to mark notes for whatever scale I was working on when I first started out.

I don't use them anymore.

I found it better to have a print out of a fretboard in front of me and learn that way, so as mentioned above.....you are not tipping the guitar to look at the letters. Just saying the notes as you work a scale....it doesn't take very long to know, just takes a little longer going backwards.

*Remember......teach yourself the first E string and then you immediately already know 3 strings!! If you know the E string, of course you know the other E string......and then the fourth string (D string) has the same notes as the low E string 2 frets farther down. So the G note on the 3rd fret of the low E string is also a G note on the fourth string on the 5th fret, etc... :D :D :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i have to thank nills, on his web site he has all the notes on a fretboard, that i printed out , when i was memorizing them, i played each note and
said them out loud, now i know them by heart. :lol:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

i have to thank nills, on his web site he has all the notes on a fretboard, that i printed out

Ditto second that. His website is a terrific resource. :)

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Ditto to what the other posts said. :)

I did try something similar. I cut out small coloured squares and stuck them on the neck. Not the sharps/flats, just A,B,C etc. So Red meant C, Green meant G etc. The idea was that they'd be quick to pick out.

It didn't really help - too much information at once. So I cut it down to just G and C, and then down to a couple of Cs, then nothing.

But for all the reasons given above I found it better to just say (or better still sing) the note names as I was learning a scale, and use a diagram of the neck for reference.

What you really need to know is not just the name of the note, but "where the friendly neighbours live" - i.e. where to find the nearby compatible notes for the key you're in.

Still working on it though! :D

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

it's easy enough to remember this:

E to F and B to C are half steps (one fret). Everything else (A to b, C to D, F to G) are full steps (two frets). the notes go in the order a b c d e f g (I assume you already knew that!!). learning it this way, IMO makes it stick better in your mind and is surprisingly easy.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote