Clear all

Learning WMUWSE..

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I would like to learn the tab for Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends.. the tabs here.. http://www.guitarmasta.net/g/green_day/256710.html
How long would it take me to learn it? A few hours? Would you say it's an easy song to learn? Anybody have any tips for playing/learning it? Also anyone know the strumming pattern?
Thankyouu.

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

How long would it take me to learn it?
How long is a piece of string?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I wouldn't call this an easy piece. There are, by the looks 10 different parts. Work on one till you get it down pat then work on another while incorperating the piece you've already learned. As for how long to learn the whole thing that depends on how long you work each day. could be a month could be ten it's best not to pressure yourself. You do however need to be motivated or you won't get anywhere with it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

As A&L points out, there are a lot of overdubbed guitar parts. That can make coming up with an arrangement for a single guitar that you're happy with a bit of a poser.

With my beginning students, who have not yet even attempted barre chords, I've come up with an arrangement which involves only playing arpeggios on the B, G and D strings, much as the opening guitar part is done.

For the main part of the song, you've got

G5 - XX503X

G5/F# - XX403X

G5/E - XX203X

G5/D - XX003X

C - XX555X

Cm - XX554X

G5 - XX503X

For the "part B" of the song (the "...here comes the rain again..." part), you've got

Em - XX200X

Bm - XX443X

C - XX555X

G - XX000X

Em - XX200X

Bm - XX443X

C - XX555X

D - XX777X

Even though you're using a small part of the guitar, it makes for a good arrangement and everyone will know exactly what you're playing.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Very cool David. Amazing how that works.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

That would depend on your playing ability. Myself I generally only have to hear the song and I can play right along with it. Some songs with lots of effects and studio tricks may take three times before I play it note for note with the CD. I believe dhodge has answered and showed everything you'd need to play it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

I would like to learn the tab for Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends.. the tabs here.. http://www.guitarmasta.net/g/green_day/256710.html
How long would it take me to learn it? A few hours? Would you say it's an easy song to learn? Anybody have any tips for playing/learning it? Also anyone know the strumming pattern?
Thankyouu.

hi clozo there is not a single strummin pattern, anyway the song is based on eight notes

the beginnning arpeggio is something like DuDuDu with pause on beat 4, but there is also a dududu u/dududu u part plus a eight notes straight-forwand flurry of downstrokes in the power chords part (Dd/Dd/dd/Dd)

I guess that if you want to play an easier version of it, you could choose an eight-note pattern that you like and stick it to it (I would go with a du/du/u/du pattern)

Matteo

ReplyQuote