Notifications
Clear all

Left Handed Question

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@crazedtrain)
Topic starter  

I have had a right handed fender strat for a few months now but I havnt gotten into playing much just yet. But im left handed and play left handed, so far ive just been playing it upside down, with the strings in the original position. Do I need to restring it? Are there any problems with restringing it to suit a left handed person?

Thanks

(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

I'm left handed but i just decided to stop being awkward and learn right handed :P still have more finger strength in my damn right hand at the moment tho :P

But i was always told to re-string my guitars if i wanted to use them left handed till i got a left-handed guitar.

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Im left handed and I have been playing as a right handed all these years: the good news is that you'll be incredibly fast changing chords and playing scales,which is good for rhythm guitar and soloing..but the low point is that the right hand gets tired more often,since this is not your hand,but with practice the muscles will get accustomed.
hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

If you are not familiar with Alber King, you should check out his stuff. There have been a few left handers who have played with a righ-handed guitar but re-strung in reverse (Jimi Hendrix), but leftys are starting to become more available than they were in the past.

Albert King actually played upside down without restringing the guitar. His licks and bends are legendary. He was a huge influence for SRV and many others.

http://afgen.com/albert_king.html

There is benefit in learning lefty or forcing yourself to play righty (I'm a lefty myself). All in all I'm happy I maintained the more natural feel of playing lefty, but it's frustrating shopping for guitars. You usually have to order anything higher end.

Good luck and have fun.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Doyle Bramhall 2nd is a great guitarist that plays upside down rightys without restringing

http://www.doylebramhall2nd.com/

being a more "seasoned" (older) player, i was not able to find an affordable lefty when i started so i learned righty and do not regret it in the slightest. as was mentioned above, the selection and availability to pick up a guitar you like anywhere is a great advantage.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@crazedtrain)
Topic starter  

I know there is an advantage to using a right handed guitar when your shopping for one, thats why I bought one, I just cant play it right handed though. Ive read about many left handed people who learned to play it right handed...but I my dexterity in my right hand isnt good enough and I cant pick with it. I was thinking of playing it left handed without restringing it but im worried that certain chords may be real hard, to play. Maybe I should just sit down and practice playing right handed even though it feels so awkward and my left hand's fingers dont stretch across the frets like my right hand.

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I am also left handed but I play right handed.
I started out re-stringing my guitar and trying to play it left handed but it went out of tune really fast. I can do a lot of other things with my right hand: use scissors, use the computer mouse, bat in a baseball game, etc. so I figured I would just learn right handed. I have been fine so far and it is nice to not worry about that when buying a guitar or, when I am out somewhere, to be able to pick up a friend's guitar and play it.

You should do what you feel most comfortable with, though.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@fingersnfumbs)
Eminent Member

another lefty here and I play right handed.

The main driving force for this was my guitar teacher said if you ever go anywhere and there's a guitar the chances are it'll be a right handed one and you won't be able to play it.

Also you use both hands so it doesn't matter really which way you start as one side will initially be stronger than the other

ReplyQuote
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member

Wasn't Jimi Hendrix a lefty? Oops, I forgot; he played with his teeth. Doh! :oops:

G W Roach (Don't BUG me while I'm practicing!)

ReplyQuote